I just bought a Magnavox CD-i (450) Would like some info

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
A_Locomotive
Burn:Cycle Activated

I just bought a Magnavox CD-i (450) Would like some info

Post by A_Locomotive » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello all I'm here because I yesterday bought a brand new in box Magnavox CD-i 450 from a guy on craigslist who bought it from a store that was clearing out their dead stock. I paid $50 for it and from looking it over it does indeed look genuinely new. So anyway I'm at the moment debating whether or not to keep it and make it a part of my video game collection. I know very little about the consoles and originally bought it with the intention of reselling it to someone I know has been looking for one. But now I'm not so sure I want to so I'm trying to find out all I can. First thing I'd like to know is I've heard before that the console can play burned games. And because I'm not exactly rolling in cash this would likely be the only way I could afford the games I do want for it. Is this true it can play burned games? From looking online I've seen very mixed answers to this. If its true how exactly do you go about doing it? I've never burned a game before. I'm also wondering what are some of the console best games? The games that initially tempted me to keep this are the 3 Zelda games and Hotel Mario. I know the Zelda games are supposed to be horrifically bad but they are so corny looking I think I'd get a kick out of them. I know the cutscenes have me rolling on the floor laughing when I see them. Another thing I want to know is more info on the Digital Video Cartridge. I've read that one is require to play a lot of the games. Where could I get one and how much can I expect to pay? Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions. Here are some photos of my new CD-i as well. :edit: Oh one more thing, in the event I decide not to keep the system and pass it on to some else, what would be a fair price to charge for this?

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:18 am

I'm also wondering what are some of the console best games?
The game seen in the pictures, "International Tennis Open", is quite good if a bit easy. "Zenith" is a nice simple addictive game, "The Apprentice" is a fun platformer that is more than the sum of its parts, and the port of "Tetris" is quirky and fun (as a huge GBA fan, I am annoyed that the CD-i version of Tetris is much better than the limp & lifeless GBA version).

Then there are games like "Chaos Control" and "Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam" that people tend to either love or hate. Or in some cases both.