Just Watched AVGN review of CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Just Watched AVGN review of CD-i

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Ok so I know he is a character and is often over dramatic so I don't really make any judgments based on his review alone but I do have to say that Hotel Mario game sure does actually look pretty entertaining, kind of reminds me of Wrecking Crew but better. The first two Zelda games looked like crap as presented in the video but the third one does kind of look interesting. After watching the review of the last game it made me remember how when N64 came out I was disappointed that it didn't have voice acting and cut scenes. I was even more disappointed when Zelda came to GameCube with all it's cd capabilities and still no voices or cut scenes, I felt like Nintendo was going in the wrong direction. Although I did like the GC a lot mostly.

Obviously his review of the console it self was rushed and he had nothing good to say and he only reviewed the Nintendo themed games which he did not like very well.

Anyone else watch the review and what are your thoughts?

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:08 am

I saw his CD-i review a while back. I take what few reviews I've seen from him w/a dash of salt, because obviously he has an image to uphold and will tailor his reviews accordingly. I'd probably watch more of him, but the f-bombs he always drops gets old after a while.

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:19 am

yeah I wrote a review of his show on my blog where I mention just that. I still watch just because lets face it I am generally considered a nerd and it is entertaining even if over the top. I like his show probably for similar reasons why I love Kevin Smith movies so much, especially Mallrats.

The only thing that I HATED about his CD-I review, and most reviews in general, is he not only focuses unfairly on just the negative, but he never gives enough information about anything to make a fair judgment.

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm

I enjoyed the that review, although I don't find it his best one, not by a long shot. He does give some valid points, but in some parts his negativity feels really forced. This is especially the case at the Hotel Mario part. I got the impression that he didn't think it was that bad, but just HAD to go negative to stay in character.

Anyway, it's made for entertainment and it did make laugh a bit. What I hate about it though, is that the CD-i is put in a over-negative light and he has a legion of fans. I've had so many comments saying 'CD-i is bad, AVGN said so!"... pretty sad when people can't think for themselves anymore and deny themselves an open minded experience.
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Lately, the only CD-i reviews I've watched have been yours. :wink:

Shame about your timekeeper though. :( I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... its that design flaw thats slowly killing the CD-i scene.

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:54 am

I've had so many comments saying 'CD-i is bad, AVGN said so!"... pretty sad when people can't think for themselves anymore and deny themselves an open minded experience.
I love the Internet. Only place where millions of people can hate a game that sold less than 200,000 copies, usually on a system (most commonly from the early-to-mid 1990s) that can barely be emulated.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Gaara wrote:
I've had so many comments saying 'CD-i is bad, AVGN said so!"... pretty sad when people can't think for themselves anymore and deny themselves an open minded experience.
I love the Internet. Only place where millions of people can hate a game that sold less than 200,000 copies
I can't imagine either game even cracked 1/2 that amount (Are there sales figures anywhere?)
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"