It'll be like playing them again ... for the 1st time.

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

It'll be like playing them again ... for the 1st time.

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 am

I may (finally) be getting a real CD-i controller, and am wondering what games really play better with it? A few that I'm looking forward to especially are Flashback, Hotel Mario, Mutant Rampage Tennis, & (mostly) the Zelda games.

What other CD-i games take on new life w/the traditional controller?

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:38 am

I think just about everything that requires precise movements would be improved. If anything, having the d-pad on the left and the action buttons on the right would make it feel much more natural. I have been playing my system for the last few nights with the stock 450 controller (maybe the same thing you use, round disc d-pad with action buttons on the top-left and top-right of it). I can play the action games with it, but it still feels weird, holding the d-pad with my left hand while crossing my right hand over it to hit the primary fire button (if I hold it the other way around, it still feels weird because I'm not used to using my right hand for movement).

For games that would be improved heavily though, the Centipede clone on Golden Oldies II, Alien Gate and Steel Machine would control much better. On the controller I am using at least, it's all too easy to accidentally go diagonally.

By the way Trev, if you ever see another legit controller out there, pass it my way! :lol:
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 am

Austin wrote:By the way Trev, if you ever see another legit controller out there, pass it my way! :lol:
I'm having to get mine from the UK, where (I'm guessing) they are more common. I rarely if ever see them around here on Ebay. And they seem to command prices that modern controllers would get. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Btw, now that you have a console, what are your thoughts on the games you've gotten so far?

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:54 am

Trev wrote:Btw, now that you have a console, what are your thoughts on the games you've gotten so far?
Hm.. Well, it's been a very mixed bag. Very. I am really impressed with Dimo's Quest though. Very polished game. I've been mixing it up with some backups of games I don't have yet, and Pac-Panic is another one that stands out. It's quite polished too compared to some of the other more arcadey efforts on the system. Unfortunately some of the games I do physically own, I can't play yet because they are DVC-only, like Lucky Luke and Litl' Devil. Others, like Inca, I have no clue what I am doing. :lol:

Looking forward to getting a DVC though, whenever that is.. I'd really like to play the 7th Guest again, not to mention try some of the other games that require it.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Austin, I agree with you about Dimo's Quest. One of my all time favourite games. I think the music is outstanding.

Yes, a gamepad controller does make all the difference. I did see one on ebay.uk for £44.99, but with ''best offer'' option. So you may be able to get the price down a bit.

Best Wishes.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 pm

I haven't played Dimo's Quest yet, but I did watch a Youtube vid on it and it seems like a cute game. Has a look that (sorta) reminds me of the Lynx game Chip's Challenge.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Trev

It's a puzzle/strategy game with cool graphics and music. Has 52 levels. You have to plan moves in advance or find yourself in an impossible situation. You'll also need to collect objects eg. a hose to put out fires.

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 am

Trev wrote:I haven't played Dimo's Quest yet, but I did watch a Youtube vid on it and it seems like a cute game. Has a look that (sorta) reminds me of the Lynx game Chip's Challenge.
I read the review on Bas's site and it's likened to Chips Challenge very much. From what I can tell, it only has a fraction of the levels that CC has.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:I haven't played Dimo's Quest yet, but I did watch a Youtube vid on it and it seems like a cute game. Has a look that (sorta) reminds me of the Lynx game Chip's Challenge.
I read the review on Bas's site and it's likened to Chips Challenge very much. From what I can tell, it only has a fraction of the levels that CC has.
Heh heh, I just found it ... http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/04/dimos- ... nt-in.html

Must have missed of forgotten about it. Saw your comment too.

Okay, now I want to pick up a copy.