Lost Eden is awesome!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Lost Eden is awesome!

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 am

Seriously, I already knew this game rocked (I've owned the 3DO version for some time) but I love it just as much, if not more, on CD-i.

For one, I was stunned how good the graphics looked! I expected them to be a bit of a step up from the 3DO version, but I gotta say the DVC is one powerful piece of hardware. The graphics almost look too clean, if that makes any sense. Like pc visuals on a console. Such eye candy! :D

Another thing that surprised me was the load times. I've seen the CD-i chug along w/other games, and I was expecting this one too be a bit slow (The HBG's review also called this game out for load times) but I gotta say (much to my shock) it is actually a hair quicker than the 3DO game. I was stunned! They still could be better, but all in all I was very pleased.

The music in this game has always been beautiful. Imho, it beats out Burn Cycle for the best soundtrack on CD-i. :)

My only gripe thus far is that the subtitles default to off (in the 3DO default is on) Hence, I can't watch the long intro w/subtitles.

Overall, I love this game. Besides the above mentioned, it has an easy interface, great voice work, wonderful characters, etc ... I could go on, but you get the idea. Cd-i has a few great graphic adventures, and this one if definitley near the top!
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"

Kempyt
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Kempyt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Trev

I've had this game for years but never given it a go, is the game really difficult like your flashbacks etc or is the game faily easy to get into?

Cheers
Chris
Top 3 games - 7th Guest, Dimo’s Quest, Pinball

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I think the game is easy to get into. Assuming you don't mind its slower pace (there is lots of talking) For a graphic adventure, the puzzles are pretty straightforward, and the challenge is on the low end. Its almost impossible to die, and likewise almost impossible to get stuck (the game has a built in hint feature) And the control is easy ... its just moving a cursor. It does move a bit slower than the 3DO version (maybe quicker if you have the mouse) but its not bad, and certainly easy (there are no quick events like the shooting scenes in Burn Cycle)

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Lost Eden is amazing for sure! Still put on the music some times, such a nice soundtrack! The game is pretty easy, but it's a fun ride.

Interesting to hear about the 3DO version. I have never tried that version, so couldn't really compare it to the CD-i version. I have played some of the DOS version, and that version gets rid of pretty much all the load times in the dialog!

Also, do you have the US version? I remember having problems recording the intro because it had Dutch subtitles by default (it has a subtitles language selection in the options menu).
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Seb wrote: Also, do you have the US version? I remember having problems recording the intro because it had Dutch subtitles by default (it has a subtitles language selection in the options menu).
Nope, my version has the ELSPA British ratings. I have to turn the subtitles on manually via the options menu too.

A few other minor differences between the CD-i & 3DO versions ...

- The sound has an almost echo like quality on the CD-i sometimes. I haven't decided is this is better, worse, etc.. but overall the music seems a bit louder, and the voices a bit stronger.

- The transitions are smoother on CD-i. The CD-i doesn't have the pixel type wipe transitions that the 3DO version sometimes has (thats probably a lousy description, I know) The CD-i has a cleaner fade, and it also loses the top & bottom bars during transitions. (the 3DO keeps the bordered look)

- Depite having load times that are a hair quicker, there is at least 1 instance where the CD-i version does seem slower than the 3DO one. When a new music track loads (or the older one resets) the game freezes for a few seconds. I don't remember this happening in the 3DO version (or if it did it was noticeably less)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:45 pm

Okay, having played this a bit more I have a couple more things to add ...

-I have to take back my comment on the load times. Having played far into the game, the CD-i load time are indeed worse. Certain transitions early on (mainly in the Citadel of Mo) seem a smidge quicker, but once you reach the valleys they certainly do seem to chug at a worse pace. Not sure why they get worse as the game progresses, but the 3DO version is better in this area as it doesn't have the few seconds of screen freeze that the CD-i one often does.

-Are there any known bugs or glitches w/the CD-i version? I might have encountered one. I've just left the White Arch and was instructed to get the root. When I get to Cantura, I'm told to ask Dina for it. However, she won't mention it. Even the cheap hint shell keeps talking about playing musical instruments, an old puzzle that I've long since completed. Any ideas?

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 am

who said it isn't? :lol:

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

proxy10 wrote:who said it isn't? :lol:

In the future, don't comment on any of my posts spamy10. Near as I can tell, you contribute nothing to this forum except trolling for hits to your psychic claptrap.

CincinnatiDan

Lost Eden - My Favorite CD-i Game

Post by CincinnatiDan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 am

I really like the Lost Eden game on CD-i. I liked the music so much, I bought the audio CD soundtrack - it really is great music, especially when you've played the game.

I haven't been successful playing many CD-i games, or video games in general. I completed Lost Eden, The 7th Guest, and Alice in Wonderland. I really like games like these. I'm not really good at fast action games. I would rather play games that are slow, and require thought, than games that require a great level of skill manipulating the remote control.

Can you recommend any other CD-i games similar to these?

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Welcome to the website Dan.

There are many games on cd-i that are slower paced - it is the cd-i's strength.
Check out Myst, Secret Mission, Kingdom: Far Reaches, Kingdom: Shadoan, Shaolin's Road, Burn: Cycle and L'Affaire Morlov.

I love Lost Eden too but haven't played it that much to be honest.

If there are any other games you're interested in, let us know.

Alan

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Alan listed some good choices. Myst in particular you may want to look at ... it is a slow paced puzzle affair, and there is no way to die. A ground breaking game that is still beautiful.

Secret Mission is probably my favorite Cd-i game ... there is one brief arcade type shooting section, and you can die in this one, but I think it's a top notch poin n click graphic adventure in the style of the old Lucas Arts hits. :D

Burn Cycle is awesome, but it does have some arcade type scenes as well as a time limit, just a heads up.

Kingdom is like a slow paced Dragon's Lair ... lots of nice cartoon animation minus the quick scenes. Easy to die in this one, as there is a lot of trial & error, but control isn't complex.

The two Clue discs are also terrific imo. All you need to do is move the cursor ... you'll watch quality fmv, interview suspects, collect evidence, solve the mystery. I suggest picking them up, I think you'll be pleased.

Marco Polo is another pc point n click style game, but less on puzzles and more on inventory management. Its not really my thing, but it is a slow paced game. It has clips from the early 80's mini-series.

Lastly, if you enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, the game Laser Lords uses the same engine.

I'm sure there are others that have escaped my mind at the moment, but this should give you an idea to start.

CincinnatiDan

Lost Eden, Secret Mission, and Myst

Post by CincinnatiDan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to play Secret Mission for the past two nights, with no success. I am not a stupid person. I was able to start The 7th Guest, Lost Eden, and Alice in Wonderland, and play them through the end. In those three games, it was easy to understand what needed to be done to play and proceed. In Secret Mission, it is not clear what I need to do. I figured out how to pick things up (rose, ash tray), and tried giving them to people, with no success. I have had no luck with the doctor, or the guards at the palace. I am at the point of giving up, and selling the game on e-bay.

Myst was the same thing. I thought it was very neat, but it wasn't clear what needed to be done. I got nowhere. The writers of Myst and Secret Mission did not make it clear what needs to be done, not like the authors of 7th Guest, Lost Eden, and Alice.

CincinnatiDan

Secret Mission

Post by CincinnatiDan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am

I tried to play Secret Mission again tonight, without any luck. I did everything I can think of in the Hotel, Park, Doctor, and Palace, and am not making any progress. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do. Could I have a defective game? Can you give me a hint?

list

Post by list » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

CincinnatiDan

Secret Mission and Myst

Post by CincinnatiDan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for that link, list. I have been looking at the videos for "Secret Mission". But, one shouldn't have to look at directions or "cheats" to proceed in a game. It should be intuitive. I needed no instructions or "cheats" to finish "Alice in Wonderland", "The 7th Guest", or "Lost Eden". The steps in "Secret Mission" are not at all obvious. Was I supposed to know that you have to use microfilm to see a hidden message on a painting on the wall? Or, that I had to use chloroform on a rose to knock the doctor's receptionist out? I think the creators of this game expected too much from the player - they didn't provide enough hints. I think the same is true about "Myst". I got so far into "Myst" to find a combination lock, but there weren't enough clues about what the combination was.