Rating curiousity w/Flashback

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Rating curiousity w/Flashback

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 am

I posted this on the 3DO forum some months back. Since Flashback has gotten discussion recently, I thought I'd post it here ...

The CD-i & Jaguar versions are rated K-A (Kids to Adults, Ages 6+) This is what the E rating is today.

The Sega cd version is a bit stricter with its rating, giving Flashback an MA-13 (Teen today)

But the 3DO version ... 17 (An M rating by todays grading!)

I have a lot of respect for 3DO & Sega rating the software that appeared on their platforms before it was required, but it seems that they were overly strict perhaps ...

What do you think is an appropriate rating for Flashback? And why such varied opinions?
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:06 am

A teen rating sounds about right to me. There are instances of people getting shot and dying in the cinematic sequences, but if I remember correctly, there isn't any blood or anything.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree. Teen seems appropriate. The story has mature themes, w/kidnapping, conspiracies, deaths, etc ...

The Snes version has a few edits that the other ports didn't get ...

The original releases did have that comic book that later ports left out ... I'm trying to remember if it was very violent?
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"