Has anyone played Steel Machine for the CD-i??...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
dave4shmups
Burn:Cycle Activated

Has anyone played Steel Machine for the CD-i??...

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:19 am

THIS looks (and sounds) like a really awesome traditional shooter for the CD-i! http://www.mobygames.com/game/cd-i/steel-machine

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm biased but is it a nice game. It has one major quirk/flaw/feature (opinions differ): whenever you shift between left and right movement, the game will scroll to put the Steel Machine on the opposite edge of the window. This can be quite disorienting but it also gives you a good view of the playfield.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:08 pm

I like Steel Machine a lot, but it is VERY difficult. I think it's might be the hardest CD-i game I ever played. I had a lot of trouble to beat the first level :D (I never finished it). Perhaps that says more about me :lol:

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I totally agree with Bas. Fantastic game, but extremely hard. It actually took me 11 years to complete it - look out for the cool laser power up in the later levels. This is awesome. Well worth persisting with.

Another good old skool shooter is Tetsuo Gaiden. Only 2 power ups available though...

Alan

Protoman85

Post by Protoman85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 pm

I'd say Tetsuo Gaiden is better, Steel Machine has a weird turning thing and you get hit a lot when doing it, and I think the control is a little sluggish.

But I think we can all agree they're BOTH better than Alien Gate :P

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:16 am

I think it's an interesting game. Nothing special, but a decent CD-i release. The shifting left-and-right takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's pretty cool for what it is, especially for being a shooter on the CD-i. :D
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:11 am

I'd probably like it a lot more if I could make it past the first level.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I really liked Steel Machine, although I've never actually completed the final level.

Couldn't agree more about your ship shifting from the left to the right of the screen being a major annoyance, even though I got used to it after awhile, still find myself getting a little careless and smashing into obstacles now and then. I can imagine it puts off alot of first-time players.

As for Tetsuo Gaiden, I've tried many times to get into that game but find it far too basic and poorly designed... just random strings of enemies that arbitrarily cross over an fmv background. As a plus, the ability to switch between retro and enhanced graphics was a pretty interesting option.