Would this have been possible on CD-i?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Gaara
Softech Recruit

Would this have been possible on CD-i?

Post by Gaara » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 am

I have this strange unrealistic fantasy of one day starting a company that makes new games for old systems (and releasing old games for new systems as a way of funding the new games for old systems). Something "above" homebrew but "below" a commercial release.

Remember those childrens trading card games that were popular a while ago? The questionable idea I have is to take one of them (a famous one), and turn it into a CD-i game. Digitised images of the cards. The computer-player would be represeted with a cartoon bit (whether this would be a FMV clip, or done using CD-i's ability to do simple animation, I dunno) of a character talking to the player each time the computer player plays a card (clip could be related to the card in question). This would probably involve a large number of cards and cartoon clips (and audio). I've noticed CD-i has strong multi-media abilities for the time ("Cartoon Carnival") but would this take up too much RAM and loading times?

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 am

I think it would work.

And if you want to get really complicated, try to pull a strategy card-based game like Culdcept. Now *that* would be awesome. :lol:
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:07 pm

I believe your biggest enemy with such a project would be disc space. CD-i is great for multimedia, but it cannot handle compressions that we know today. If you want speech and animation for each card, you're going to need a lot of space. But if you can overcome that, then I don't see why a game like that shouldn't be possible.
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!