Best way to connect a CD-I to your TV

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Best way to connect a CD-I to your TV

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Ive recently purchased a JoyTech AV Control Centre 245C To connect all my retro systems to one TV.

The device supports component and S-Video.

I managed to connect all my systems up so far with the exception of my 220.

I was going to connect it up via the scart socket on the back of the system to the s-video port on the JoyTech, but the cable I bought didn't work!

Here's the cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160717805672? ... 2806wt_689

I did test the cable directly into my tv which also didn't work so clearly the cable (scart to scart works fine).

My question is what is the best way to connect my CD-I?

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 pm

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am

I guess the SCART output doesn't include S-Video? It does have both Y/C and R/G/B, though.

R/G/B is better than S-Video (less color crossover), but you probably knew that.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 am

What cables would you recommend to get a RGB picture?

Here's the back of the box :)

And the back of the cdi 220 for convienience

prabmire
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by prabmire » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:06 pm

That also has composite AV, the yellow plug, so scart output to red white yellow would also work, what i want to know is why did you get a predominantly component switcher for your retro gear, plenty of other decent ones with RGB scart

Prab

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 pm

I was asking around for ages for the best switcher and all I got was those crappy £5 auto switchers from eBay that do RGB but from my experience don't work (I've bought 2 and the volume is really low on all devices through it).

I saw this one at the right price (Around £20) and got it, I do have my XBox connected through component and it looks great (that's XBox 1 running at 720p using XBMC). All the other systems look great, with the exception of the modded mega drive which still needs a RGB output to display colour in 60Hz mode).

prabmire
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by prabmire » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Joytech used to do and you can still find the RGB scart switch, however I can and so can many other members on different forums can vouch for the quality of the Madcatz 4 way switcher, its truly an amazing piece of kit with no quality loss.

Theres no way your retro machines can natively output component, if they can output RGB scart you will need to convert them to component and that won't be cheap

Just keep an eye out for the madcatz switch for scart devices

Prab

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Well I ordered those 2 cables in my second post! The S-Video cable and Audio cables.

Hooked them up and get nothing! WTF!

This CD-i really doesn't like S-Video!

At this rate i'm going to just hook it up via RF and have done with it :)

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

prabmire wrote:Joytech used to do and you can still find the RGB scart switch, however I can and so can many other members on different forums can vouch for the quality of the Madcatz 4 way switcher, its truly an amazing piece of kit with no quality loss.

Theres no way your retro machines can natively output component, if they can output RGB scart you will need to convert them to component and that won't be cheap

Just keep an eye out for the madcatz switch for scart devices

Prab
I'm not overly bothered about RGB for the other systems, just the mega drive so I can get 60Hz running in colour.

What I'm going to do with that is just upgrade my CRT TV to a Sony Trinitron when one comes up on either free cycle or on ebay cheap :)

Thanks for your advise though 8)