CD-i 220 No Display on panel

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Rob68
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i 220 No Display on panel

Post by Rob68 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but have spent many hours with my CDi-220 since the early 90's.
I am hoping there is someone out there that can help me diagnose a fault with my player.
I was playing a CD yesterday, when it suddenly started crackling, then the music switched off and the display started to flash with the '----', as it would without a cd in it. I ejected the disc and removed it, then closed the tray. I switched the unit off with the on/off switch, but when I tried turning it back on again, I had no display illuminated. I now cannot play any disc in it. If I open the cd tray manually, then plug it in and switch it on, the tray will close, but that is all.
Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be please?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Robert.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:55 pm

So just to confirm:

* You have no display on the TV
* No display on LCD
* There is power to close the draw

I would open the case and check to see if everything looks ok in reference to the capacitors. Also check the motherboard for anything obvious.

Rob68

Post by Rob68 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks, That's correct.
No Display on either tv or front display panel, but have power.
If it is open when I plug the unit it and turn it on, the drawer will close.
Also noticed today that the pin 8 on the scart does appear to work ok as my scart switch box still automatically changes to the correct input when the unit is switched on.
I'll have to take the cover off and check inside. Not really sure what I'm looking for though.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I would be looking at the capicators near the problem areas which are in this case: LCD screen and video (scart) there maybe obvious signs like the capicators exploded/cracked or burnt.

If this is the case you'll need to replace them.

If everything seems ok, you could check for main board for any bubbling etc.

In the event of chip creep you will need a multi metre and or prob so see we're the problem is.

Alternatively you could probably buy a replacement system for £20 on eBay

Rob68

Post by Rob68 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

OK thanks.