Is the CD-i touchpad controller good, or bad?...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
dave4shmups
Burn:Cycle Activated

Is the CD-i touchpad controller good, or bad?...

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:13 pm

The one that comes with the little joystick in the center. I ask, because here in the USA, the 3-button CD-i controller, that looks like a Genesis/Mega Drive controller, is incredibly expensive.

Calypso
CDinteractive Moderator

Re: Is the CD-i touchpad controller good, or bad?...

Post by Calypso » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:33 am

dave4shmups wrote:The one that comes with the little joystick in the center. I ask, because here in the USA, the 3-button CD-i controller, that looks like a Genesis/Mega Drive controller, is incredibly expensive.
In Europe the CD-i touchpad controller 22ER9017 is incredibly expensive, the little joystick is mostly missing.
It does the job, has a 2-speed switch.

22ER9017 CD-i Touchpad

22ER9021 CD-i Gamepad
Has a 3-speed switch, for games only I would choose for this one, its handier.

22ER9011 CD-i Mouse
For professional and educational use, as I do, I would recommend this one.

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Re: Is the CD-i touchpad controller good, or bad?...

Post by Austin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 pm

It depends. Personally, I never cared for it due to their being slight lag/delay from when you press something to when something happens on screen. Other than that, the controller is comfortable enough. I prefer to stick with the mouse for most games since there is no lag and it's the most precise, although in some cases (like Mutant Rampage Body Slam) a controller feels necessary.

As far as expensive, it depends on who you get it from. On eBay, yeah, it's going to be really expensive. From a collector though, the price will be much more reasonable. I got my controller from a fellow collector here cheap, and I have seen them pop up cheap at other niche retro gaming forums.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66