1991-2016 the 25th Anniversary of the CD-I

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Arethius_RGC
Burn:Cycle Activated

1991-2016 the 25th Anniversary of the CD-I

Post by Arethius_RGC » Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 am

October 16th 1991 The CD-I Is luacched on US market,... it is the beginning is the CD-ROM era, which unfortunnaly for Philips endend not that well (losing 1 Billion $ ouch!!!).
Netherless is the CD-I a amazing piece of technology and history, lots of cool devices, an internet modem, ... THe cd-i is regardless of all the hate it generate one of the most interesting hardware of all time.

And this year we celebrate the 25th anniversary on the CD-i release. And even the 30th anniversry from its annoucment. On October 29th & 30th in France will take place the 10th edition of Retro-gaming Connexion, a french convention which I preside. And I would like to arrange a big stand enterlly dedicated to the CD-I. Iwould to presnet this incredible machine to the 250 persons, by presenting:
- the hardware and the different models
- the accessories
- the games
- some of the rarest and most intriguing software
- lots of printed material and collectors stuffs...
- present some stories such as how a CD-I Producer ended working on God of War.
My goal is clear I want to undo all the bitterness and hate the cd-i format generates.

But I need help because:
1. My cd-i collection is not that big
2. I do not have some of the biggest rarities
3. As President of the convention I will be on the stage for animation and the quizz show.

That's why I would like to ask all the CD-I community to join me in this big venture. Help me to realize this project of mine which I had in years.

The RGC is in France, I know for most of you it is quite far, but take as a opportunity to take a few day vacation in Paris. I work in the hotel industry so I might be able to get some discount for you during you stay in Paris. I can arrange city trip, and some guided visits you'll could not think about. And I can offer my services as translater during the convention.

About the RGC:
It is a french retro & alternative video-game convention, it is organized by the french Association the Retro-gaming Connexion (Asso-RGC) (see below for more details), it generally takes place on October every year what started as the Jaguar Connexion with 7 people during on week-end is now of the top retro-gaming Convention in France. We awaits beetwen 250-300 people. The entrance is not free but you can choose your package entrance only, Halboard or fullboard for one day or the whole week-end and you have to register first (prices and registration form will be annouced in September).
The Asso-RGC provides, tables, chairs, electricity and a limited amount of televisions. The RGC is also a chance for some of you to present their homebrew projects during a stage interview which I'll do and translate from english to french. there are also lots of themed stands such as :
- muscial games (quite popular -;))
- Steel battalion lan-party
- this year we will have a 30 years Zelda and A 15 year Halo
- .... and why not a 25/30 year Philips cd-I

If you wish to see pictures and videos of the last year event:
http://www.yaronet.com/topics/184386-rg ... otos-video
sorry french only

If you wish to see videos from previous editions do not hesitate to check our youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/retrogc

If you need futher details do not hesitate to contact us at contact(a)retro-gc.fr.

About The Retro-gaming Connexion:
The Retro-gaming Connexion is a french association (ruled under the law of July 1st 1901) founded by 6 retro-gamer from diverse origins (e-commerce consultant, infographist, journalist, multimedia animator, swimming-pool technician, ...). The goal of this association is to organize video-game conventions based on human interactions. A 15 year experience and the success of the previous edition made the RGC Association a reference on retro-gaming in France. Today the team counts 15 members and the association has varied its activities with the conception of packaging, games edition and weekly multimedia lessons.

Seb
Softech Recruit

Re: 1991-2016 the 25th Anniversary of the CD-I

Post by Seb » Wed May 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Sounds interesting and like an awesome idea. Always fun to hear about projects putting CD-i in the spotlight a bit. Sound very hard to actually get everything you're looking for together. I might have a few interesting things, but my modest collection is also lacking in quite a few area's.

I do have a friend in Paris I could probably hang out with for a few days. Can't say anything on actual availabilities at the moment though. I'm afraid that my French is also next to non-existent.

Good date though, the 29th is my birthday :D
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

rivarossi
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: 1991-2016 the 25th Anniversary of the CD-I

Post by rivarossi » Mon May 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Congratulations on iniziztiva !! I am sure you will have good success . Many have in their hearts the CDI , sprattutto in my city Monza ( Italy ) in a laboratory where Philips has produced several plays .
If I come willingly in Paris. There will also be a second-hand market?
Italian English text translated by google
Cdi 220- Play3- Yamaha Z7- VPR Toshiba Dlp- tv Samsung Led 8000 55"- 8 Speakers Antony Gallo Adiva Ti + 2sub Gallo- Electric Screen 100 "- Apple Mac Pro 8 core - Mac book pro - Mac book Air