New CD-i website?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:05 am

Welcome Mathias,
Can you tell us a bit about your background, and how this idea came around? Can you shed a light on what you're going to offer the cd-i scene (instead of the info that is already on the internet) Sorry to point it out that way, but you can't deny it's a heavenly copied site up till now...

However, I like the clean lay-out!

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:29 am

If you didn't want it found, you should have put a password on it!

My own CD-i Emulator website (no, not the teaser one here) is doing just that right now...

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:45 am

My background?? Didn't Google tell you all about that? :-)
Well, I'm an IT Engineer for a German car brand during the day, and I'm a musician during the night. I discovered CD-i when it was first released and I've never been able to let it go. Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm in love with the Philips CD-i... What I wanted to do, was to combine different websites that already exist on the Net. My impression is that none of 'em is complete. The ICDIA is pretty cool, but hasn't got any software reviews or box art, etc. I have mixed feelings about Le Monde Du CD-i and I'm impatiently awaiting it's grand clean-up. It sounds promising. All Game Guide has some nice data, but is 'completely incomplete'... So here is my intention to gather all data into one big site.
And I know about the copying. Off course I know. I did it! I'm hoping to replace it asap with my own content. But that will only be done bit by bit. I just don't have the time to do it all at once.

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:08 am

There was a password at first, but my ftp client kept deleting the .htaccess file, since it didn't exist on the source and could not be created on a windows environment. I deleted it once by accident and never recreated it. That's why... :oops:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:14 am

oh, i'm sure your thoughts sound familiar to a lot of us.... We actually have the same way of thinking with the Black Moon site, but time is always the limitation. Still I hope this autumn we (with devin as the initiator) can build up a site with a complete overview on what cd-i has to offer.

On the one hand, we have seen this with Le Monde back in 2001 (+/-), it never got finished. Now a new site is developed, but djkoelkast remains awfully quiet about it. their 3rd forum has been empty for almost a year now, at http://www.lemondeducdi.com/forum

Now, for the lot of it, i highly recommend working together to do that instead of individually build up half-finished websites. That, because it is a heavy task which i don't think you (or anyone alone) can do. (challenge?)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:28 am

There's actually something to be said for several websites, if the amount of information duplication can be controlled. It lets everybody manage their own site the way they want it and spreads the risk in case a site disappears for whatever reason. Also, smaller sites have a higher chance of getting finished!

I don't think this applies to forums however; one set should be enough, otherwise the community gets fragmented. Hats off to Mathias for realizing this and even blandly stating so on his site...

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:35 am

I totally agree. The only reason I've been doing this on my own was because I had noone to do it with. I have to admit I never did the effort to look for anyone, but still... Working together sounds good to me IF we can work on a site that 'has it all'.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 am

Well, when information is not duplicated on 'several websites', there's always information getting lost when a site 'disappears'... If one site can be maintained on a dedicated server, from well known members,it's more reliable that the info is stored forever i'd think...

i guess the biggest task is to set up a complete software archive. Because the hardware section of ICDIA is pretty complete, no?

davcrag
Burn:Cycle Activated

cd-i box art, cds and covers

Post by davcrag » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:35 pm

If you guys are looking for this sort of stuff, a lot of it can be found right here.

http://covers.torrentreactor.net/covers.php?id=2
Craig

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:07 pm

I completely agree with eveything!! :D

I'd like to see a website focus on a complete reference resource for all CD-i software. This is actually what I started doing with Blackmoon way back in 2000 when the only active CD-i websites were the ICDIA and CD-i Collective and I mirrored your opinion at the time that both websites offered excellent resources but there was room for other materials like a Games Archive, Movies and Manual Scans. With the initial push I made a half decent Games Archive including some Manual Scans and other resources. Then Blackmoon kinda twisted into a community focused website then gradually I had less and less time to focus on the initial idea I set out to do!! That and the fact I entered employment...which is overrated in my opinion :P

Blackmoon besides being a community website will cover all the games when I get around to expanding that section working with Bas on new resources and scans etc etc. Then it'll do articles on all sorts of CD-i stuff from ex developers to the movers and shakers in Philips Media. So there is still that gap for an absolute reference of the complete CD-i software archive which I really look forward to seeing on Philipscdi.com. Whatever support we can provide to this end just ask!!

With regards to a complete single resource, it's probably to big of a job for one guy to handle. At the moment we have:

The ICDIA: Handles all the technical information and historical resources for CD-i.
The Black Moon Project, Le Monde Du CD-i: Community focused websites with partial archives and various resources including scans, articles etc etc.
CDinteractive: Home of these forums and provides a free stable hosting option to all CD-i related websites with its first customer being the ICDIA.
The CD-i Collective: The original and best fansite with lots of reviews and the one and only Gir Draxa.
The Blackmoon Project CD-i Store: Last standing exclusive CD-i retailer on the net!!

In addition to these and once fully developed we have the following to look forward to:

Philipscdi.com: Complete CD-i software archive.
CDiDEV: CD-i homebrew resource centre, providing a more active version of the ICDIA with various example projects to promote bedroom coding for the CD-i.
CD-i Emulator: Official website for the one and only.
The GATOR Store: Hopefully we can get a store up on-line with all of the GATORS stock, a USA retailer with lots of cool CD-i gear.

I know the idea of a single CD-i resource appeals to quite a few people but i've come of the opinion diversity will strengthen any RetroScene. If anything these forums are testamount to that fact, four months ago and anybody would have considered CD-i a dead fish but just look where we are today!! CD-i Emulator in the works, a homebrew scene buzzing with new ideas, web projects like Philipscdi.com on the horizon. It's a radical change in a fairly short space of time :D

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:36 pm

Yeah its good to see people putting it their time for the benefit of CD-i.
Just a questions.. can't philipscdi.com be under the cdinteractive.co.uk banner??

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:43 pm

Merijn wrote:Yeah its good to see people putting it their time for the benefit of CD-i.
Just a questions.. can't philipscdi.com be under the cdinteractive.co.uk banner??
It's certainly possible to transfer the domain name to CDinteractive if Mathias wishes to.

All the benefits would follow with unlimited space which is free, free e-mail, free FTP and of course a hosted forum for the project. The only thing that would need to be maintained is the domain name which is at the expense of Mathias. If you want free hosting just let me know by all means, it's what we're here for!!

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:16 pm

I'd love to work out some kinda partnership, but please gimme some time to finish my website first. I'm not very fond of letting you host my site though, although I know your intentions are good, Devin. But as someone stated earlier, the more sites that contain CD-i-related data, the less chance there is that information might ever get lost. And believe me; I'm really serious about this project and I'm here to stay, as are you and many others. One of my big tasks is to scan in every single page of every single Dutch CD-i Magazine. I happen to have kept them all, from day one, up untill the very last CD-i issue of Oog & Oor Magazine. Devin, I'll mail you back about the hosting-thing...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:26 pm

Wow, that's something I really want to see. Have all the UK CDi Magazines but never a Dutch publication for the format!

No problem on the hosting, just to let you know that the option is always open on CDinteractive should it be required. I've been around the CD-i scene for the past 5 years and have no plans to vanish just yet :wink:

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:44 pm

Working day and night... (Whenever I get the time, really) I think you guys should be able to get a good idea of how it's gonna be. I added little navigation arrows on the game pages. (Well, some of 'em for now...) I can tell you that's one hell of a job for someone who doesn't know php or asp! Please give me any ANY comment about the site, other than what has already been said on this forum and the fact that there isn't much data on the pages yet.
If you think a specific field is missing or that some titles aren't listed, please mail me about it! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathias