LG GDI-700

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
davcrag
Burn:Cycle Activated

LG GDI-700

Post by davcrag » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 pm

OK. I just picked up one of these LG GDI-700 units brand new in a box from eBAY! What a find!! Only $30.00 too!!

I have this hooked up and it's very different from other units.
First of all, it has a printer port on the back! How would I use this and for what??
It has only 1 controller port in the front of the machine. Would I be able to use a port splitter to do 2 player games?
It has a modem port on the back next to the printer port!
Also, something very unique. It has a switch on the back of this unit to toggle between NTSC and PAL.
The controller looks very similar to the newer style CD-i controllers but it is not interchangable! Neither style Philips remote works with this one.
Good thing it was new in the box!
It has an adjustable headphone volume in the front of the unit. Very cool! They put a pre-amp in this!
Comes standard with digital video but the menus look completely different on the startup screen.
What's the 5V DC trigger switch for on the back of this unit?
Hopefully some of you may be able to enlighten me on this rare CD-i.
There are some good pictures of this unit here
http://forum.aceboard.net/17646-1802-6517-0-.htm

Thanks!
Craig

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:03 pm

The modem and printer port are "standard" PC serial ports. I don't know much else about this player (yet), but Devin has one. Perhaps he can respond?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Re: LG GDI-700

Post by Devin » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:26 pm

davcrag wrote:OK. I just picked up one of these LG GDI-700 units brand new in a box from eBAY! What a find!! Only $30.00 too!!

I have this hooked up and it's very different from other units.
First of all, it has a printer port on the back! How would I use this and for what??
It has only 1 controller port in the front of the machine. Would I be able to use a port splitter to do 2 player games?
It has a modem port on the back next to the printer port!
Also, something very unique. It has a switch on the back of this unit to toggle between NTSC and PAL.
The controller looks very similar to the newer style CD-i controllers but it is not interchangable! Neither style Philips remote works with this one.
Good thing it was new in the box!
It has an adjustable headphone volume in the front of the unit. Very cool! They put a pre-amp in this!
Comes standard with digital video but the menus look completely different on the startup screen.
What's the 5V DC trigger switch for on the back of this unit?
Hopefully some of you may be able to enlighten me on this rare CD-i.
There are some good pictures of this unit here
http://forum.aceboard.net/17646-1802-6517-0-.htm

Thanks!
A very cool find especially at that price!!

The NTSC/PAL switch would probably be useless to you because on the whole American TVs don't support PAL functionality whilst here in Europe both 50Hz and 60Hz are commonly supported on newer TVs through the AV hookup.

I recently tried a Philips controller with the LG and it failed to work. However the SONY CD-i Mouse worked fine, i'll have to test out some of my other controllers with the unit before I write off ALL the Philips brand stuff!!

If you have access to a Digital Camera i'd love to see some shots of the units box, take as many as you can and e-mail them to me so I can post'em for you here on CDinteractive :D

davcrag

GDI-700

Post by davcrag » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 am

Nothing special about the box that would require me taking photos of it. It was factory sealed in a brown box. Possibly a refurb but still fresh and has that brand new smell.

An interesting note on the side of the box.There was a label which states
"scheduled for disposal.. box 40 of 50. CD-i players"
If this is what I think it is, LG was doing what so many manufacturers do to their products when they feel they become inferior. They throw them out! Many companies especially do this with items that are said to be defective or just get returned. They feel its cheaper and less of a hassle to just throw them away.
If this is the case, I wonder how I got my hands on this one?
Could some friendly eBAYer have gone dumpster diving?
It's no wonder this player is so rare!!! I hate to think that CD-i players are getting thrown away.
There should be some effort among people to at least keep players around for spare parts!
:!:
:roll: :roll:
Craig

davcrag

GDI-700M

Post by davcrag » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:38 pm

I am still interested if anyone knows about how I would use the printer port on the back of this unit. I have never seen a cd-i title with a print option. :shock:
Craig

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:37 am

Interesting look-up for foreign CD-i players, unfortunately the pictures were gone, and I'd love to see them again. Has anyone perhaps kept a copy?

lemmi

Post by lemmi » Wed May 21, 2008 2:00 am

would anyone be interested in pics of the LG box that i have?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 21, 2008 9:11 am

Always! I love pictures! Can you host them somewhere, otherwise I can! Thanks Lemmi, do you have more cd-i players (more than 3do ;) ?)

lemmi

Post by lemmi » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Bas wrote:Always! I love pictures! Can you host them somewhere, otherwise I can! Thanks Lemmi, do you have more cd-i players (more than 3do ;) ?)
equal amount 4 Cdi units and 4 3DO
but i want to sell one FZ1 unit with a hardcase/starter kit/gun and some games
and my CDi portable 350

you can see my Cdi pics here
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/3DOguy/
i hope it works i wasnt sure which link to use so others can see the whole album

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 am

I chose to go with this unit as my first CD-i console and have been very happy with it. Replaceable battery, built-in DVC, PAL/NTSC switch, great AV quality, compatible with my SNES-to-CD-i controller adapter, and reads CDRs with no problem...it's been great. :)

Oddly enough the only issue I've had is some random crashing on my copy of the original, 1-player-only release of International Tennis Open, but the later 2-player version works fine. Maybe it's the CD itself, though any scratches on it are very light.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:29 pm

DVS unit is my favourite because it's boxed and in mint condition!

Having said that my LG was my favourite day to day CD-i player. That was until it refused to spin discs! Have to see if that can be fixed. Last time I took it apart it just started working all by itself. There's so much wasted internal space in these units. The LG could have easily been reduced to the size of a 470 or smaller! Most of the internals is just dead air! They hadn't quite figured out the concept of daughter boards back then! :D