Superclub

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Superclub

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:20 pm

Do you remember the Superclub Stores? It was a multimedia store from belgium (and the netherlands), owned by philips for more than 50%. It was one of the main channels for your cd-i supplies. They had a wide range of cd-i titles, and the whole store was filled with philips tv's and cd-i demo sets. Ofcourse not every store was the same, but in our local Superclub they built a big round pillar with a round table around it, suiting six cd-i demo sets. I remember playing chaos control there. There was also a CD-ROM demo set with Down in the Dumps (also published by philips..) Too bad they shut down.

Today i visited this store again. Ofcourse, it's no Superclub anymore, but this place is now rent to Van Leest. This is a CD&DVD store. They still use the same equipment of the old Superclub, the same televisions, the same CD installments in the wall, the same shelves. Only the demo pillar has been removed, leaving a wide open area. Still i noticed a big gap in the ceiling on the same place with broken circuits from the pillar. A globe with a big cd-i logo was on it, and i still see the contours of the globe. Nice ...

It made me think of other cd-i spots which are still visible these days. One of my favorite is at the Free Record Shop in 's Hertogenbosch (Netherlands) where at the front door there is still a large blue (old) neon board with the logos of Nintendo, Sega, Playstation and CD-i on it. Great to see that.

Do you still see any cd-i memories outside?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:15 pm

There's a book about the rise and fall of superclub, search for superclub and prins. Available in the Eindhoven public library. Nice read, the entire superclub chain was a bit of a debacle. Well, a big one.

Also in Eindhoven, in the Evoluon, it still reads CD-i on the presentation selection of one of the booths of the old PCC.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:01 pm

i've been there a couple of months ago and i thoght all the booths were removed. Where did you see them?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:09 am

16 april or so. There are a few movie theatres in the saucer rings.

Alan
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:13 pm

Yes, I remember the Superclub.

I remember buying ''The Lost Ride'' from them, and several VideoCD's like ''Dance Vision Volume 1'' and ''ZYX Dance Hits'' which are hard to find now. I phoned them a few times and spoke to a nice lady- she told me I was phoning London!! Maybe I wasn't :oops:

I remember her telling me they were closing and to contact McNo, who I also bought loads of stuff from.

And now, e-bay is my cd-i store :D

Alan