About the CD-i interface

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
*vf
Burn:Cycle Activated

About the CD-i interface

Post by *vf » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a school project about CD-i, and my part specifically is the Navigation. There's quite a lot of information available but a few things I'm still very unclear about:

- How does the interface actually look? What's the output you see on screen?

- Does every cdi have its own interface or does it have a ui like a regular OS?

- Does anyone have pictures of how it looks?

Would help me a great deal if anyone would have pictures to clarify, and of course every bit of information would help me loads. The more the better :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:33 pm

To me, those are quite broad terms. With interface, you mean the Operating System?

Like this:

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:16 pm

Well you've come to the right place, I guess you already know The ICDIA which is full of information both historical and technical.

*vf

Post by *vf » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:10 pm

Bas wrote:To me, those are quite broad terms. With interface, you mean the Operating System?
Thing is I've never used CD-i before so I'm not entirely sure how it works. For example when you turn it on, does it boot an OS with its own interface like (easy example) windows, with the start button etc.

Or does each cdi have its own interface thats loaded as soon as you insert the disc?

Judging from your screenshot its the first, would you have a few more of those? For example what you see if the open and options menu are opened?

Thanks!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:15 pm

have a good search at the International CD-i Association first, i'm sure you can find some usefull information here.

*vf

Post by *vf » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:25 pm

Bas wrote:have a good search at the International CD-i Association first, i'm sure you can find some usefull information here.
Yep I found all the info I needed - essay is finished. And via the screenshot you posted I got all the visual material I need aswell (from http://www.cditeaser.cdinteractive.co.uk).

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:59 pm

Would it be possible to post the essay or a link to it here? I for one would be interested in the perspective of a newcomer...

*vf

Post by *vf » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:08 pm

Hmm, I think I would be scared to offend you if I got anything wrong :D

Nah - its a combined essay of 6 people and I'll talk to them and see if we can post it here alltogether. It's in dutch though, but judging from your sigs that isn't too much of a problem. :p

Havn't actually read anything from the others yet, will update this thread as soon as I've talked to them about it.

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:29 pm

It looks to me like the Philips CD-i finally gets the attention it deserves. Too bad it's only coming this late... I somehow have a feeling the emulator will be incredibly popular! :)
Good luck on the essay!