Backup of my CD-i games

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
drake
Burn:Cycle Activated

Backup of my CD-i games

Post by drake » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:24 am

Hi,
If i want to make a backup of my cd-i games, what's better pc program (windows)?
Thanks

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:35 am

I always use Nero, which seems to work excellent.

Discjuggler is also a good call, to save the ISO's on your PC.

Beware the CD-i Ready formats (like the SPC Vision games) only work with CloneCD.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Have a read:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needed tools

All tools you'll need to create working backups are free- or shareware.

CDRWin

CDRWin is a burning tool that creates images in bin/cue format. This kind of image is still the most popular. http://www.goldenhawk.com/download_body.htm
Note: Download and install ASPI Drivers as well

IsoBuster

IsoBuster is a CD and DVD data recovery tool. Use it alternatively to extract your CD-i images. You'll be able to extract MPEG and audio files as well.
http://www.smart-projects.net/isobusterdownload.htm
Note: IsoBuster extracts a bin file only and won't create a cue-sheet. A cue-sheet is a short text file specifying the contents, order, and spacing of the extracted CD. Most burning tools incl. Blindwrite, CDRWin, EAC, Feurio!, FireBurner, Nero Burning Rom, Roxio Easy CD Creator (Disc Copier 6.1 or later) need the cue-sheet.

DiscJuggler

DiscJuggler is a powerful burning tool that supports many different image types like .bin, .cdi, .cmi, .cue, .iso, .nrg. Get a time-unlimited and fully-functional demo at http://www.padus.com/downloads/demo.php

CloneCD

Use CloneCD to create backups of CD-i titles in CD-i Ready (Enhanced CD) format. Less than 5% are in that format. Known ones are:
-A Christmas Songbook
-Accelerator
-Alien Gate
-Beyond Limits
-Escape
-Lucky Luke
-Louis Armstrong
-Dark Fables of Aesop
-More Dark Fables of Aesop
-Mozart
-Opera Imaginaire
-Pavarotti
-Steel Machine
-The Apprentice
-Dimo's Quest
-The Worlds of...

On this special type of CD-i the CD-i data track was stored in pause sectors preceeding track 1. That way it's possible to play a CD-i (containing both audio and data) either in a CD audio or a CD-i player. In fact that most burning tools investigate the content of a CD by using the TOC (Table of Contents), they won't recognize the hidden data track. Get a trial version at http://www.slysoft.com/download/setupclonecd.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any problems using one of these programs, let us know.

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Post by KuroNeko » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Bas wrote:I always use Nero, which seems to work excellent.

Discjuggler is also a good call, to save the ISO's on your PC.

Beware the CD-i Ready formats (like the SPC Vision games) only work with CloneCD.
What settings do you use with Nero? Not to backup but to create image files for the emu.

Neko

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:16 pm

The images for use with the emu are all made with Isobuster .... (exept for those cd-i ready formats)

Nero is for copying.... (most music...)

KuroNeko
Softech Recruit

Post by KuroNeko » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm

so just make a "raw" image with IsoBuster?

Neko

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Using "Extract RAW Data (2352 bytes/block)" with IsoBuster works best.

But beware of CD-i Ready, these usually don't work with IsoBuster.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:36 pm

Also does anyone have any idea how to overcome my problem posted here in the CD-i Emulator Support Forum. Just can not make images of the American versions for Dimo's Quest and The Apprentice, please help as my CloneCD trial period is running out and I have no money to burn :cry:
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

American versions for Dimo's Quest and The Apprentice

Post by oaacdi » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:10 am

Devin, the American version is the one I have for Dimo's Quest and The Apprentice and CloneCD had worked for me always. However, the more picky one is The Apprentice, where only my oldest CD-ROM drive does it properly.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:15 am

It's an odd problem, after reading the data CloneCD just keeps running with 0KB/S transfer speed and it doesn't even progress to the audio tracks like I described in my post. Also the audio player for Win98 doesn't kick in upon inserting the disc so I figure there must be a link between the two problems. I specifically picked this CD-ROM drive for CD-i compatibility as well but why would it vary from CD-i Ready Disc to Disc? Very confusing!?!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:05 am

KuroNeko wrote:so just make a "raw" image with IsoBuster?

Neko
yes