What was the definitive game for CD-i

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.

Atlantis: The Last Resort
8%
The Apprentice
46%
Dragon's Lair
8%
Burn:Cycle
38%

Total votes: 13

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:36 pm

Between the regular bog standard conversions of "Rise of the Robots" and countless boardgames we had some real classics on this system. Some were exclusive releases, at least to start with so what was the definitive CD-i game. Which game would you point to and go that was the pinnacle of CD-i gaming? All the selections i've made were some sort of landmark achievement in my opinion and were considered important releases for the time. I've left out post 1998 CD-i releases because this is about the games that were published to a commercially viable public. Votes away!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:58 pm

At first i thought with 'definitive' you meant exclusive original cd-i titles. But Dragon's Lair is no cd-i original, is it?

I think Burn:Cycle is a wide known title for cd-i. When you ask a random person to name one cd-i title, chances are high 'burn:cycle' flips from the tongue! Still, from the four selected i find Atlantis the definitive title, showing on its very own 3d realtime capabilities of the cd-i. As for all the cd-i titles, i still think Creature Shock is the definitive cd-i (along with 7th Guest) game ever made.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:49 pm

The 7th Guest would probably have wiped the floor, your dead right with that one!!

The above list gives an interesting mix of titles it should be interesting to see how people respond to each game.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Mario prototype?

Post by cdoty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:05 pm

The Mario prototype showed that the CD-I could produce fast action games (contrary to 99% of the software out there).

Alan
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:05 pm

Hello all!

Great new forum! I've just joined.

My vote went to the Apprentice. I recently completed it after 11 years of play! Amazing eh? It was the best and hardest platform game I've ever played. I agree with you about Atlantis, Burn: Cycle and 7th Guest.
Creature Shock looks good even now 8 years later, as does Solar Crusade. :wink:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:10 am

Hi Alan,
Good to have you here!
The Apprentice is indeed a very nice game. The only thing that would make it better in my view is when the scrolling action would be vertically, like the most platform games. But the animation, character control and visuals are absolutely top-notch, especially for that time, and especially for cd-i.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Re: Mario prototype?

Post by Devin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:23 am

cdoty wrote:The Mario prototype showed that the CD-I could produce fast action games (contrary to 99% of the software out there).
Very true but then lets not forget Christmas Country and Christmas Crisis both fast scrolling games just like SMWW!! These however were released, commerical games.

I'm glad to see The Apprentice winning the fight at the moment, now Burn:Cycle was good but damn Apprentice is so cute!!

Greetings Alan :D still playing to the 19th hole I take it? :wink: