How much have you spent on CD-i software/hardware?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

How much have you spent on CD-i software/hardware?

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:21 pm

Like, have you ever paid a lot for Zelda's Adventure? Are you downloading your favourite games, or have you bought them when cd-i was still hot!

Did you pay 300$ for your cd-i 450, or have you spent 10$ on a 220 on eBay?

What's the most expensive title/player you've bought (cd-i related)?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:27 pm

That's kinda the beauty of collecting CD-i stuff, it's not particularly THAT expensive but taken as a whole the numbers do add up to big amounts of cash!!

Probably the most expensive single thing I bought for personal use was my original 210 with a bunch of software years ago for £100. Overtime i've gathered up various bits and pieces. I picked up games like Zelda's Adventure, Mad Dog II, The Last Bounty Hunter and The Lost Ride for about 12 Euros a piece!!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:29 pm

I bought my CD-i 210 brand new in 1992. Got me the DVC one year later, and I bought every title i was interested in... Back in the ninetees, I had about 100 software titles. The last couple of years, I've been spending my money on other players, more software and every possible controller I could get my hands on (I already had the game controllers) but the prices at which you can buy these things now are nowhere near the prices back then.
It was about 500€ for the player and 250 for the cartridge, if I remember this correctly. The Video CD's were 25€ and the games mostly about 50€.
I spent a fortune on CD-i stuff back then.
And if I could go back in time, I'd spend even more!!!!
Only thing I regret is that I never got a portable player. Still don't have one now.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Apart from the CD-i when it was new the most that has been spent on it is probably about £20 and most of the software we have came from the shops "Display Purposes only" collection of about 20+ CD-i titles all for £10 or something ridiculuosly cheap like that lol.

[EDIT] Changed the number of titles ... just found another 5 lol [/EDIT]

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

I spent a lot!

Post by oaacdi » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:04 am

I got my first CD-i 220 when it was released including the Encyclopedia as a promo (remember those infomercials?): $500 (plus shipping because in the country where I was living, people were like..CD what?, no way to get it locally).

Like a year later I went to Florida for a weekend and got the DVC ($250 plus tax...).

Titles were available then at Electronics Boutique for a regular price of $50 each...

And then there was McNo/Xdra, in the UK..oh..the dollar to pounds rate to get some titles and the joystick...do not even want to remember...

Then over the years, as any other CD-i fan, start to get second hand units raging from $50 (Sony portable) to $100 (CD-i 220) to $0.01 (Kyocera portable)!

Will I do it again? Yes! But I will not buy some titles, like Video Speedway...

Ruekov
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Ruekov » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 pm

22000 pts (aprox. 150€) the DVC, and the player is included in "salvat universal" encyclopedia costs 200000 pts (aprox 1300€). After buyed the encyclopedia Salvat oferts two possibilities: a complet package of multimedias for 8000 pts more (50€) and the spanish beta test of web>i. My fathers buy the package and defused the web>i because have a condition: Philips Ibérica will test only 2 months....

PD: Nowadays is gruding a brand of philips, yes?