New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
RIDER
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by RIDER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am

Hi, I'm also from Australia. I guess I'm one of those Nintendo people who have bought a cd-i to play Zelda.

I'm from Sydney and have just purchased a 370 player to play the Zelda games I've been longing to play. I do have all 3 of them but Zelda's adventure is a review copy. I also have Hotel Mario. Bought a 220 player about 18 months ago to play them but it was damaged during transit :(

I'm a big Mario, Zelda and F-Zero fan and also like Ridge Racer and the Need for Speed series.

Cranky

Post by Cranky » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:06 am

Bas wrote:Hi there! I guess it's all import for you then, or did they normally retail CD-i in Australia as well ?
Funny thing happened on the weekend. A mate of mine and myself often go to trash n' treasure markets looking for retro gaming bargains. On entering said market, my friend says to me "Hey maybe you'll find some stuff for your new machine." "Nah" I reply "Bugger all chance of finding anything Cd-i in this country"

What do I find? A big box full of new and sealed Cd-i movies. So I grabbed:
:The Hunt For Red October
:Star Trek
:Star Trek 2
:Star Trek 3
:Star Trek 4
:Star Trek 6
:Sliver
:Top Gun
:Thunderball
:Naked Gun
:Naked Gun 2
:The Untouchables
:The Firm

All of these for $25 Australian. (Roughly 10 quid)

Pretty bloody happy with that!!
RIDER wrote:Hi, I'm also from Australia. I guess I'm one of those Nintendo people who have bought a cd-i to play Zelda.

I'm from Sydney and have just purchased a 370 player to play the Zelda games I've been longing to play. I do have all 3 of them but Zelda's adventure is a review copy. I also have Hotel Mario. Bought a 220 player about 18 months ago to play them but it was damaged during transit
Have you had to import everything or have you been lucky enough to find some stuff locally?

Borman
Softech Recruit

Post by Borman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:16 am

RIDER wrote:Hi, I'm also from Australia. I guess I'm one of those Nintendo people who have bought a cd-i to play Zelda.

I'm from Sydney and have just purchased a 370 player to play the Zelda games I've been longing to play. I do have all 3 of them but Zelda's adventure is a review copy. I also have Hotel Mario. Bought a 220 player about 18 months ago to play them but it was damaged during transit :(

I'm a big Mario, Zelda and F-Zero fan and also like Ridge Racer and the Need for Speed series.
Nice, I havent seen a Zeldas Adventure Demonstration Disk yet

RIDER

Post by RIDER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Cranky: I have acquired all my current cd-i collection from overseas so far. Too bad that shop you mentioned is in melbourne, I'll have to visit that shop when I ride down to melbourne. There is a shop called Retro Games in sydney that might have some cd-i games, but other than that I have no idea where to get cd-i games locally. I have only bought from eBay so far and probably some of the sellers I have bought from use this forum.

Borman: This is the disc. Apparently the full version of the game is in there, and any copy is hard for me to find since I live in Australia!!! I haven't tested my current cd-i yet (see Technical Support Forum, someone please help!) but I hope to buy a retail copy of Zelda's adventure and after I finish the Zelda games then I'll look at getting some exclusive cd-i games. But i've read that there arent any great and exclusive titles on cd-i which is unfortunate.

Borman
Softech Recruit

Post by Borman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Awesome, Id love to have that hah. Ive got quite a few of them (id show a picture but my servers a bit wonky), its really what I collect for CD-i stuff. Yeah, it should be identical to the retail release, but I just find the disks to be quite charming : P

RIDER

Post by RIDER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 pm

I've seen it 3 times on eBay in the past 18 months (and I bought one of them), and thats only for auctions that ship to Australia, so I assume that disc is not very rare. I'm a collector myself (actually I'm a Nintendo collector :oops: ) so no amount of money will make me sell that disc. I wonder if there are any earlier discs out there in circulation, I'd love to own those too :D

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Cranky wrote: Funny thing happened on the weekend. A mate of mine and myself often go to trash n' treasure markets looking for retro gaming bargains. On entering said market, my friend says to me "Hey maybe you'll find some stuff for your new machine." "Nah" I reply "Bugger all chance of finding anything Cd-i in this country"

What do I find? A big box full of new and sealed Cd-i movies. So I grabbed:
:The Hunt For Red October
:Star Trek
:Star Trek 2
:Star Trek 3
:Star Trek 4
:Star Trek 6
:Sliver
:Top Gun
:Thunderball
:Naked Gun
:Naked Gun 2
:The Untouchables
:The Firm

All of these for $25 Australian. (Roughly 10 quid)

Pretty bloody happy with that!!
Hey Im from Aus too and I remember back in the early-mid 90s a freind of mine had a 3DO. I doubt it was sold retail though more than likely it was imported. I think it can play VCDs too so maybe thats why you found those. Another possibility maybe a couple people imported CD-i's in the 90s. Either way you're very lucky to find those! Good deal too for 25. Just out of interest what state are you in , Im from SA.
RIDER wrote:Bought a 220 player about 18 months ago to play them but it was damaged during transit
I know how you feel exact same thing happened to me. I think there was some impact which caused my cd tray to later break off but its still usable. I'm importing another player and I really hope that this one will make it through undamaged. What happened to yours is it still workable?

RIDER

Post by RIDER » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:51 am

My 220 still powers on but won't load a disc. There's a bit of physical damage to the unit too but it still powers on, although the power switch is damaged. It might be fixable but it's been sitting under my bed for almost 2 years and now I have the 370 there's little point in fixing it. The 220 cost me about 40 pounds (2 controllers, games and vcds) plus another 90 pounds shipping!

It's a bit too bad that super mario galaxy came out in Australia yesterday, otherwise I'd be spending my free time playing CD-i

Cranky

Post by Cranky » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:24 am

Shroo-man wrote:
Hey Im from Aus too and I remember back in the early-mid 90s a freind of mine had a 3DO. I doubt it was sold retail though more than likely it was imported. I think it can play VCDs too so maybe thats why you found those. Another possibility maybe a couple people imported CD-i's in the 90s. Either way you're very lucky to find those! Good deal too for 25. Just out of interest what state are you in , Im from SA.
I'm in Victoria. The movies I found were at the Laverton Market which is a Trash n' treasure market.

CoolKid19

Post by CoolKid19 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:53 pm

HI, I'm a new member (Aaron). I loved the game Dragon's Lair 2 in the arcade and was considering buying the arcade machine. I then saw the CD-I system had it so i bought the CD-I in 1994-95. I still play today and have hung onto the system for nostalgia and because some of the games are actually fun to play, even with PS3 and XBOX looming overhead.

No one knows what I'm talking about when I mention CD-I, so I'm glad there is a forum.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:37 pm

thank god yes! It's about the only living place about CD-i ;) The longer you'll be here, the better CD-i will get :D Welcome!

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:46 am

interactive dreams is dam good too! there is always something new to read about cd-i.

Kingcar

Post by Kingcar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi,

my name is Carmelo i come from Germany.
It's really nice to see that there are so many CD-i fans in so many Different Country's.
Actually I thought that there was no Forum for CD-i fans, nice to see that i was wrong.
:wink:

Anyway you're doing a great, there are a lot of interesting things like homebrew or Interviews that i read here.

Thumps up :)

Feefle

Post by Feefle » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:47 am

Hi, I recently got interested in CD-i since I collect consoles (but never play them...) and when I got the CD-i today, I came here for two reasons:

1 - A forum so I know CD-i isn't dead.
2 - Ironic, cause my CD-i died the second I tried to get it to work so I need to figure out what's wrong (In technical support)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Two years ago I never thought this thread would grow like it does, great to see all those new names! Welcome all :D We'll make sure CD-i won't die anytime soon!