New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
qlexqndre
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by qlexqndre » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

Hello world.

i'm new on this forum. I'm a big fan and i have a big collection (hardware and games) and soon, i'll post my list.

I am the team-sega webmaster and my favorite videogame system is the Sega Saturn and secondly the philips cdi.
And my favorite brand is philips (i have tv, phone, mobilephone, razor, speakers, dvd's player, cd recorder, and more from this brand).

I'll hope than i can find further informations to the cdi on this great forum.

I'm french and i speak too german, sorry for my english.

Pour ceux qui parlent français, merci de me faire signe, ce serait un plus pour moi. Merci
Cherche 200 000 €, faire offre par Mp ou par mail.

Vincent XIII
Softech Recruit
Location: InASmallCornerAlone... NOT im not an emo or anything! or am i?idonthaveaprobwithemostheyaresexyLOL

Post by Vincent XIII » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:38 am

omg hey! i love your site ^^ ive been there before one of the only places you can find CD-I isos ^^

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:35 am

Well here goes again Hopefully Ill actually be able to keep a "fairly" regular check up on here now that my technical problems and loss of a job, thus franting searching for one so I can pay the rent. Huh Real Life what a stupid Idea that was ... whoever invented it should be shot :P lol.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm

qlexqndre wrote:Hello world.

i'm new on this forum. I'm a big fan and i have a big collection (hardware and games) and soon, i'll post my list.

I am the team-sega webmaster and my favorite videogame system is the Sega Saturn and secondly the philips cdi.
And my favorite brand is philips (i have tv, phone, mobilephone, razor, speakers, dvd's player, cd recorder, and more from this brand).

I'll hope than i can find further informations to the cdi on this great forum.

I'm french and i speak too german, sorry for my english.

Pour ceux qui parlent français, merci de me faire signe, ce serait un plus pour moi. Merci
I'm a little late, but welcome! I'd like to see your list! Which titles do you have? Maybe we can trade :)

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

hello

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 am

Hello forum people. I'm from Australia and have owned a CD-Interactive unit for over a year now. I used to visit the other CD-i forum with the french name but there is hardly any new posts. That is why I've joined this forum, I only have a small collection of CD-i stuff so far but here is my list:

Consoles - Philips CD-i 220/57 (US Model)
Accessories - Digital Video Cartridge, Infared 'Recon' Controller
Games (complete) - Battleship, Hotel Mario, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:27 am

Hello Shroo-man! Nice to see you here. It's a pity that "Le Monde" is quiet, but it's just the way it is. Omegalfa is the bare only one who posts something there, and even he is absent for a long time now. Oh well.

So you've only got three games man, and all don't use the DVC! There are quite a lot of second hand games on ebay lately and with the sales of Gamgator also for very cheap prices!

Do you also have a gamepad, 'cause playing Hotel Mario with the IR remote is a pain in the ass ;) I highly recommend the gamepad! And if you're on to it, maybe you can try beating Hotel Mario within one hour to discover the proof of the fabled eighth hotel!

and for some living CD-i stuff, visit Interactive Dreams once in a while! (shameless spam :twisted: )

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:21 pm

I know my games aren't very good. I do plan to get a lot of DV games though the CD-i has some good ones. The ones I want to play the most are Burn:Cycle, Thunder in Paradise and Voyeur. I also want to get the lightgun to play Mad Dog McCree, Crime Patrol, etc.

You're right about Hotel Mario being annoying with the remote and so are other games. I want to get the genesis gamepad adapter once I can spare some money. Hotel Mario is impossible in less than 1 hour for me at least, I keep dying many times before I can pass some levels.

I've finished Wand of Gamelon but I'm still on the 6th hotel in Mario.

mechanism

just saying hi

Post by mechanism » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:01 am

hello everyone,

this is funny, I was googling my own name and stumbled upon this site. A looooong time ago I've done some free-lance work for The Vision Factory doing level design for Steel Machine and Accelerator. I was trying to become a professional graphic artist around that time and also did some test graphics for prototypes etc. I even did a complete graphic set for Steel Machine which sadly never made it into the game due to time constraints.

I remember those days as some of the most fun I've had in my life, being young and getting paid for making video games was sweet :)

I eventually gave up graphics and became a programmer. I sort of gave up after seeing Niklas Malmqvist's graphics reaching levels I could never achieve hehehe.

cheers,

Roland

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Welcome! Nice to meet you, it's great to see people who previously worked on CD-i here. Can you share some more about your work? Do you still have those artworks you did for Steel Machine? You may want to keep in touch and I think some others will contact you about something, if you catch my drift ;)

Anyway, how did you get in touch with SPC? Do you still have a CD-i?

mechanism

Post by mechanism » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 pm

To be honest, I never owned a CD-I player myself. :)
I'm not sure if I can still get ahold of that Steel Machine artwork. I myself don't have anything left from those days, most of it ended up at the garbage together with my old Atari ST and Amiga 500.

The story behind the Vision Factory started in the Atari ST demo scene. Stefan Postuma was involved with ST News, a disk based magazine targetting ST enthusiasts and other types of weirdos, where he got in contact with Tim Moss who, together with his brother Dave Moss and Mark Palmer, formed a demo group called The Lost Boys.
Stefan worked at SPC Company as a programmer and when SPC decided to start developing games for the CD-I, which was based on 68000 processor, like the Atari ST, he quickly hired Tim Moss as well to help develop Alien Gate.
Niklas Malmqvist, who used to be Tanis in the swedish crew The Carebears, did the graphics for Alien Gate.
I myself was involved in an unknown group (well, duo really) called Spirits of Doom, most famous for our huge megademo which NEVER got released :) I was the graphics artist and Arjen Wagenaar the programmer. Soon after Alien Gate was finished Arjen got hired at SPC.
I then got involved with designing the levels for Steel Machine which Niklas did the graphics for and Dave Moss and Mark Palmer did the music in the guise of their band 'Fleshfarm'. In my humble opinion, Steel Machine has the BEST ingame music of all CD-I titles, EVER. :)
Joris de Man, who used to be Scavenger in a the dutch group Synergy, ended up doing some music for a bunch of titles (don't know which anymore). Micael Hildenborg who also did a bunch of free-lance stuff, can't remember what exactly, used to be Flying Egg in a certain swedish demo group whose name eludes me at the moment.

So, I ended up doing level design and some test graphics, which didn't amount to much really :) I ended up being a programmer and make my money building web applications these days.
Stefan Posthuma now works for Electronic Arts in Vancouver. Tim Moss leads quite a succesful Playstation development team over at Sony somewhere in California, he's responsible for God of War which was quite a big hit on the PS2. Fabrice Odero a.k.a. Fury of Legacy, also works for him as far as I know. Niklas Malmqvist is still a graphic artist/animator, he works for a swedish company called king.com.
Arjen Wagenaar has his own company here in Amsterdam doing all sorts of programming, he's involved with streaming video techniques and what not. Last thing I heard about Joris de man is that he moved to Ireland or something. He did, amongst other things, the music for the Guerilla title 'Killzone'. What ever happened to Luke Verhulst I have no idea, but I'm sure he's still drawing cute stuff :)

Ermm, that's about it really, like I said, the time at The Vision Factory was great fun. Endless evenings playing Doom at on the company network, listening to Nine Inch Nails at ridiculous volumes pissing off the rest of the entire building, talking endless streams of bullshit with Luke Verhulst, etc, etc. Good fun, good times and I'm still in touch with most of these guys, they're all doing good so that's wonderful.

Cheers.

lwizardl

New here

Post by lwizardl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:25 am

Hey guys I just joined the forum. My name is James and I from Michigan, USA

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:59 am

Hi James, welcome! You just found the one and only living CD-i Forum around!

Cranky

Post by Cranky » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:23 am

G'day all. My name is Brett and I reside in sunny Australia.

I pretty much collect any retro video games and after finding a Cd-i a couple of weeks ago, it's the machine that holds my fascination at the moment.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:23 am

Hi there! I guess it's all import for you then, or did they normally retail CD-i in Australia as well ?

Cranky

Post by Cranky » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:14 am

Nah, nothing in Australia. The only thing I remember about the cd-i back in the day are some advertisements in UK gaming magazines.