I can't play any discs with my CD-i 450

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Graalwanderer
Burn:Cycle Activated

I can't play any discs with my CD-i 450

Post by Graalwanderer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 pm

Hi,

Today I received my CD-i 450 - 00 (bought via eBay).
The console starts up and I can go to the Options screen, but I can't play any games or audio CDs. I place the disc in the CD-i player, but nothing happens. I have noticed that the screen text says "open". But it should say either "disc" (when no disc is placed in the CD-i player) or "play CD-i", am I correct?

I have tried to open and close the disc door several times, and every time I close it, it gives a clicking sound which, I guess, should indicate that the door is closed. But still the word "open" is displayed on the screen.

What should I do?

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:19 pm

This sounds like something is broken in the disc detection. It could be the switch, wires, or something electronically. I don't think there's much you can do unless you have some electronic skills, and perhaps not even then...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm

you should find the top drawer pin which will go into the player when you close it, you can use a screwdriver to push it and check if the player recognizes it. Maybe a small part of it has broken off...

The top drawer pushes some kind of button when you close it. If it can't reach it, the player still thinks it's open.

Graalwanderer

Post by Graalwanderer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Thanks for your answers.

I tried using a screwdriver, but nothing happened. The CDi-player still said the disc door is open.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 am

Broken soldering maybe, but it's also possible that the laser unit is dead.

nrg78

Post by nrg78 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:24 am

Just tried out on my 450, if you place a CD and push down the round pin, it starts playing, even with the lid open!

If there's no CD on, we can see the lens trying to focus, looking for a CD. It doesn't find any, so changes for "DISC" message.

;)

Dan (reading old letters!)
Long (re)Live CD-i! =)