Converting .RTF files

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
João Castanho
Burn:Cycle Activated

Converting .RTF files

Post by João Castanho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:28 am

Hi,

I have 2 CD-i discs from Philips/Smithsonian Institution called "The downhome blues" and "The uptown blues" The video-files are in .rtf format
I can read the discs with Isobuster but I can't play the mpeg files on my computer.
Is there a possibility to convert the .rtf files into .mpg or .dat files and which software has to be used?

João

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:04 pm

hello,
I've seen this question before, and cdifan shared some details to do this:
There's two parts to the conversion:

1. Convert from RTF to "raw" ADPCM data. IsoBuster should be able to do this for you.

2. Convert ADPCM to AIFF or something. If you can find it, something called the "Audio Conversion Utilities" should be able to do it. I think it used to be part of "MediaStockroom" or something which can be downloaded from the ICDIA site, I think.

I can't provide more details right now, sorry.
Unfortunately the discussion ended here, so maybe cdifan is able to help you more.

gtdalby

Post by gtdalby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Hmm... That's just for audio though?

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:40 pm

If the RTF files in fact contain MPEG, you should be able to extract them with IsoBuster just fine.

But I think these are relatively "old" titles and they probably use slideshows and their own "DYUV partial motion" format; it would be hard to convert this without investigating the specific RTF files in detail.

If CD-i Emulator provided an "automatic playback capture" (which is planned but barely even started) you could use that...

João Castanho

Converting .rtf files

Post by João Castanho » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:27 pm

I don't know about the slideshow stuff
The discs are from 1994 according to the info on the inlay and the date of the files.

I tried to extract the biggest .rtf file with Isobuster to Raw 3252 bytes/block
I renamed this new file to mpeg, mpg, dat, raw, h261 and some other formats. Tried VCDgear to convert raw to mpeg but untill now nothing worked.
The listing of the disc:
path_tbl
cdi_dh
cdi_dh_data
cdi_bumper
bumper.rtf
copyright
abstract
bibliography
mem_stick
cdi_basecase
cdi_dh_DBG
cdi_dh_data_DBG
cdi_dh.stb
dh_movie.rtf
dh.rtf

[/img]

João Castanho

converting .rtf files

Post by João Castanho » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 am

Quote:
There's two parts to the conversion:

1. Convert from RTF to "raw" ADPCM data. IsoBuster should be able to do this for you.

2. Convert ADPCM to AIFF or something. If you can find it, something called the "Audio Conversion Utilities" should be able to do it. I think it used to be part of "MediaStockroom" or something which can be downloaded from the ICDIA site, I think.

I can't provide more details right now, sorry.

I have tried this as well. It doesn't work. I can't access the file with whatever player I have.
Does somebody have another suggestion? :(