Just picked up a CDI, a few questions..

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
xboxmods
Burn:Cycle Activated

Just picked up a CDI, a few questions..

Post by xboxmods » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey, I just found a CDI at a thrift store today. It was just the unit itself with the power cable. It seems to be working perfectly for CD's right now, but I have a few questions.

The disc tray sounds like something getting run over by a car whenever I eject or insert it. Everything else is working perfectly thankfully. The only other question I have has to deal with controls. I don't have a remote and right now can only use it for CD's. What are the possible choices for remotes? Can I use a universal remote control for menu functions on the console? The factory remotes go for quite a bit on ebay, and I'd rather not spend more on a remote than I did on the unit. Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:44 pm

A squealing disc tray usually needs a little greasing. Here's a link to an article on Interactive Dreams: http://cdii.blogspot.com/2009/05/three- ... ayers.html

It also has a very helpful video on how to solve the problem.

As for a remote, as far as I know you can only use the ones that were specifically used for CD-i systems. I'm not even sure if they are interchangeable? If you are looking to play some games with the system, than I strongly recommend you get a controller instead, either the Gamepad or the Touchpad, although they are usually quite expensive when bought separate.

I think yo ucan also mod other controllers to work on the system, but I'm not to sure on that. Never tried it.
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

xboxmods
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by xboxmods » Tue May 04, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks for the video, looks like a pretty simple fix.

I've read that the CDi is supported by the Harmony One remotes, so I was hoping maybe some other supported it. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy an actual CDi controller :P .

Thanks for the response!