A common CD-i Remote problem - Fix inside!(Battery contacts)

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Post Reply
User avatar
Adr990
Burn:Cycle Activated
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:42 am
Location: The Netherlands

A common CD-i Remote problem - Fix inside!(Battery contacts)

Post by Adr990 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey all,

I don't think people around here wouldn't come up with the idea, but still.

The connection with the Batteries on the CD-i Remote might not connect so well anymore, and so it looks like it doesn't work anymore.

You can't confirm this until you tried this a few times, till you're sure the tin foil is placed correctly.
At least, I'm using tin foil to fix it easily. :)


Over at: http://cdii.blogspot.com I found the follow tutorial:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_60EdE-4xjwk/S ... 00-h/8.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_60EdE-4xjwk/S ... 00-h/9.png

Selfish French people, ugh

I've typed all the single chars into Google Translate. And it told me that a common problem could be the contacts with the Batteries are the problem. Which I already was thinking about looking at it myself though.


So, here is a easy solution, you should try it when your CD-I Remote doesn't work anymore. :)


Open the Battery cover:
Image
Image

Than get some foil and make it like this size:
Image

Now make sure you have new batteries, or recharged so you can confirm it with a more translatable mind.

Pull the double battery deeper inside like this, so a little space will be there.
Image
(Better contacts at the battery in the back, and now also in the front. That's the idea.)

Now test it. And if it doesn't work try to put the foil otherwise or grab a another piece of tin foil.
Besides, the tin foil should be a little fat. So it will close up the space you just made as the picture above shows. Not just sitting there lose.
Also make sure its not to width or has to much height.

Do it right, carefully watch if it touches the contacts or not ,as it should of course.

Image
(The tin foil in this picture isn't placed to well, but you should get the basic idea.)

Not working yet? Try again, may clean the contacts also. And of course, recharge/try new batteries for confirmation. ;)

Good luck, hopefully it worked. And so saved a great CD-i set up. :D

Greetings,
Adr990

User avatar
opt_fr_
Softech Recruit
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by opt_fr_ » Thu May 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Good evening,

I've a similar issue with my cd-i remote, but it isn't the same model as yours (the picture can be found here : http://www.mobygames.com/featured_artic ... ction,206/ (1st image to the right)).

Thanks for this tutorial, but does it exists a tutorial for my cdi-mote model ? Or maybe the internal structure of the remote is the same and this tutorial is enough ?

When I move the cursor to the left or right, there are 3 possibilities :
- the cursor moves to the right direction (1 chance on 2)
- the cursor moves to the opposite direction (1 chance on 4)
- the cursor doesn't move, you have to insist (1 chance on 4)

This is very frustrating when playing CS, Labyrinth of Crete and Hotel Mario (sometimes you fall of the stage because of that, yupie ! But HM is playable with a cdimote).

Thanks in advance

User avatar
opt_fr_
Softech Recruit
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by opt_fr_ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 pm

I'll try to open it with a torx 6 screwdriver when I find one (tried t8 but too large)

model : cd-i thumbstick (remote)

User avatar
Adr990
Burn:Cycle Activated
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:42 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Adr990 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Heya,

It's not the same problem I had, and which I posted a solution for.
My problem was not having good contact with the battery in my Remote.

But as for your remote, I think a good old joystick cleaning will do wonders.
Might check the contacts of everything too once it's opened up anyways.

Good luck.
I repaired the CD-i 210, 470, 450, and 220 from noisy and hanging disc tray's and the famous Timekeeper problem!

I own a 470 and 450, along with 87 CD-i titles and a CD-i promo pin.

Post Reply