Philips 220/37 cd drive problem

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
metalsphere
Burn:Cycle Activated

Philips 220/37 cd drive problem

Post by metalsphere » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:04 am

*edit* Oops sorry, I just noticed that I should have posted this in the Tech thread.*

I just got my Philips CD-i 220/37 in the mail today and to my disappointment the cd drive seems to be messed up. The system was shipped to me in its original box and packaging and seemed to be pretty well packed.

Here's whats happening. The first thing I noticed was that when I tipped the unit forward, the cd tray would slide out. I pushed it back in and felt the laser carriage pop up in to place, so I figured all was well. After hooking everything up I powered on the unit and the Philips menu screen loaded up, I then pressed the "open" button and nothing happened. So I then tilted the unit forward so that the cd drawer would slide out, and placed a CD-i disc in the tray and firmly pushed the tray back in. Again, nothing happens, I pressed play and nothing happened.

I have removed the screws from the case and unfortunatly the cd drive is made so that you can not see the drawer's mechanical parts without removing the cd drive.

Any hints, tips or just plain old solutions to fix this before I go yanking out the cd drive?

Thank you all for this forum!
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." - George Bernard Shaw

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Re: Philips 220/37 cd drive problem

Post by Overdrive_X » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:59 am

metalsphere wrote:*edit* Oops sorry, I just noticed that I should have posted this in the Tech thread.*

I just got my Philips CD-i 220/37 in the mail today and to my disappointment the cd drive seems to be messed up. The system was shipped to me in its original box and packaging and seemed to be pretty well packed.

Here's whats happening. The first thing I noticed was that when I tipped the unit forward, the cd tray would slide out. I pushed it back in and felt the laser carriage pop up in to place, so I figured all was well. After hooking everything up I powered on the unit and the Philips menu screen loaded up, I then pressed the "open" button and nothing happened. So I then tilted the unit forward so that the cd drawer would slide out, and placed a CD-i disc in the tray and firmly pushed the tray back in. Again, nothing happens, I pressed play and nothing happened.

I have removed the screws from the case and unfortunatly the cd drive is made so that you can not see the drawer's mechanical parts without removing the cd drive.

Any hints, tips or just plain old solutions to fix this before I go yanking out the cd drive?

Thank you all for this forum!
I also recived my CDI 220 today. CD-DRIVE dosen't work. The drive does not spin at all :( I will try to change the Spining Motor tommorow. Beside put a CD-AUDIO or CD-I into your drive press POWER OFF , TURN POWER-ON again and check if you get a ERROR message on the LCD .

metalsphere

Post by metalsphere » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:14 am

Upon further inspection of my 220, I noticed that when I slide the cd tray in and out of the drive I can see a gear turning. I then removed the face-plate from the 220 and located the motor that powers the cd tray, I then noticed that there is no belt connecting the cd tray motor to the gear that turns when the tray is pushed in/out of the drive. Isnt there supposed to be a belt there? Any clue as to where I can find a replacement?

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:19 pm

On my 210 theres an elastic band which turn the gears to open and shut the drive. Also if your drive isnt spinning go look at my problem in the technical forums (the one moved from the other place) because the guys at this forum gave some great advice and mines working now :D

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Moved...

metalsphere

Post by metalsphere » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:13 pm

Well, I went out today and found some black rubber bands small enough for a makeshift belt. Now the cd drawer opens and closes as it should, but the disc does not spin. I hope Cricklewood Electronics ships internationaly.

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:07 am

read the moved cdi210 problem. u wont need t spend any money if u follow their gread advice

metalsphere

Post by metalsphere » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:57 pm

Great advice! I removed the cd drive and used a screwdriver to lift up on the plate. Works like a charm! But now I can't play digital media, it says that I don't have a digital video card installed, but I do. Guess I'll try re-seating it and see if that helps.