Help! CD-450/17 doesn't work?

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
binici
Burn:Cycle Activated

Help! CD-450/17 doesn't work?

Post by binici » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:28 pm

Hello!

I have a question for the CD-i 450/17 and maybe you can help. I purchased this unit without a DV cart and when I try to play games it says that I need the cart (on some games) and others just do not load and then makes my TV flicker and return to the CD-i main menu. My question is if that additional hardware neccessary the (DV cart)? Will it make the games actually load?

I have a Zenith HDTV and plugged the video cable from the tv to the console. The strange thing is that Audio cds play with any problems, and that game Litil Divil loads, but then displays a message please insert a DV cart and then restart the unit. This unit is in mint condition and I am all out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

BiNiCi
Too many consoles, so little time...

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 pm

All well-behaved CD-i games will tell you if they need the DV cartridge, as you've seen with Litil Devil (which indeed needs it).

Which games in particular are you having problems with?

PS. Posting the same message to two forums isn't necessary...

binici

Post by binici » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:12 pm

cdifan wrote:All well-behaved CD-i games will tell you if they need the DV cartridge, as you've seen with Litil Devil (which indeed needs it).

Which games in particular are you having problems with?

PS. Posting the same message to two forums isn't necessary...
Sorry about that its just that I have been frustrated all last night trying to play a game.

I have tried:

Tennis Internation which, loads (the green LED lights show activity) then the tv turns black, which then flickers and then goes back to the main menu. The only options then are to click on Options, or Play CD-i.

Comptons Encyclopedia loads (the green LED lights show activity) then the tv turns black, which then flickers and then goes back to the main menu. The only options then are to click on Options, or Play CD-i.

Mad Dog Mcree which does the same as above.

Mutant Body Slam does the same also.

Burn Cycle is tricky, because after two or three atempts the disc reads after the flicker of my tv then I receive a blue screen which says that the disc is dirty or damaged and needs to be replaced, press any button to continue and then goes back to the main menu.

Then I have a Pete audio/video disc that doesnt load the video, but plays the audio.

Now with Litil Divil this is where is confuses me because when I insert the disc it loads (green LEDs show activity then a screen with the games popsup saying that I need to insert a DV cart and then restart the console.

This is the only game that really shows me that the game works. I am confused and don't know what else to do?

Does anyone know what this means?

I would greatly appreciate help... thanks! Binici

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:21 pm

Yes please don't create a topic twice >> i deleted the other one.

It is stated on cd-i titles whether they need a DVC or not.

But: Tennis, Compton's (the first edition), and Burn:Cycle do not need the DVC, so they should play.

Maybe the lens needs cleaning?

binici

Post by binici » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 pm

What is the best method for cleaning? Seems like the audio plays fine? also why would Litil Divil load up fine?

binici

Post by binici » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:13 am

"sorry it took so long to answer i was trying to contact my friend at the repair shop. he suggested that you pull the module located at the top front of the unit next to where you insert the cd. there is two tabs on the right of the cover holding the cover on. once the cover is removed you will see the module takes up the whole side. pull the module out and take a can of compressed air like you would use for a computer to clean it. he said that could be the problem that dirt or mositure can break the connection. also make sure that all the pins on the module or straight and not bent. the reason some games will play and others do not he told me that some games do not use certain pins while others do depending on the graphics. he said if this does not fix the problem take it to a local gaming shop and have it checked out. hope this helps you."

This was from a seller on Ebay. Does anyone know if this is accurate or helpful? I'm thinking of cleaning the pins, although I do not have the DV cart installed, but just purchased one and waiting for it be sent in so I can install it.

Thanks,

Robert

binici

Post by binici » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:05 am

Hello peeps, once again, I have been troubleshooting the hardware and see nothing wrong? Please help! I will pay you if you need!

Thanks!