european exclusives?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

european exclusives?

Post by Shroo-man » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:35 am

I want to know what games are only released in Europe. I know about Big Bang Show, De Zaak Van Sam, Les Schtroumpf's, Zelda's Adventure, etc but I'm not sure about the less obvious ones. Like Solar Crusade and The Lost Ride are they are european only? Also are any games only released in the US?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 am

The US abandoned CD-i in 1995 so every game that was released in 1996 onwards didn't reach the US the official way. As far as I know CD-i had only two retail areas: Europe and the US. (Japan was VERY small).

Big Bang Show and Le teleportaschtroumph (something like that!) were in fact french only. Just like Shaolin's Road, but our CD-i Gold Club (or Multi Media Club by that time) imported them to the Netherlands as well. I'm not sure about other countries!

However, the US also got a few exclusives: Third Degree, Jeopardy, Joker's Wild, Joker's Wild Junior.... Typically gameshows Philips thought Europe didn't like I guess.

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Big round-up of non-US exclusives in the excellent Digtal Press Collector's Guide Advanced Edition, plug, plug:

The Digital Press collectors guide been going since early 90s as you can see from my 1st issue compared to the latest issue. The first issues inluded only pre-NES systems.

And because I'm nice, here's the DP CD-ROM version:
Last edited by thomas on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am

thanks Bas, that makes things a bit clearer. btw is teleportaschtroumpf a "holy grail" of cd-i collecting? the digitpress guide lists it as an R9 (same as wacky worlds) and values complete copies at $250 USD.

yeah that digital press guide would be pretty useful, I wish there was an online list of releases though.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 am

I guess, yes, I've never seen a member here who has a copy. For a long time we even thought it was only a prototype CD-i (we only have a french and dutch prototype). Out of the blue a french version appeared on eBay a few years ago, which gave me the possibility to snap some nice pictures. But it showed the french version was actually released in 1998.

However, the dutch version remains to be prototype exclusive, as far as we know ;) And what's even better, it's a very nice game, it's a mix of platforming and minigames. But you have to understand the dutch or french language to understand. (So Devin doesn't get the point :lol: )

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Shroo-man wrote: yeah that digital press guide would be pretty useful, I wish there was an online list of releases though.
Try Digitpress, go 'Online Rarity guide', select CDi, select non-US releases....and bingo (not very up-to-date though, but it's at least something).

So now I wanna hunt for that CDi Smurfs game (The second (European only) Smurf game on SMS demands a pretty penny too)

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:24 am

I have compiled a list of CD-i games exclusive to certain countries. Help me make it more complete and correct if you can

FRANCE

* Big Bang Show
* L'Ange et le Demon
* Les Guignols de L'Info
* Les Shtroumpfs: Le Teleportaschtroumpf
* Strip Poker Pro
* Un Indien Dans La Ville

GERMANY

* BMP Puzzle
* Hieroglyph
* Magic Eraser

ITALY

* Go
* Strip Poker Live

JAPAN

* Golgo 13

NETHERLANDS

* De Nationale Spellingwedstrijd
* De Zaak van Sam
* Domino
* Lettergreep
* Lingo
* Sports Freaks
* Voetbal

SWEDEN

* Alfapet
* Foqus

UNITED KINGDOM

* ????????????

UNITED STATES

* 3rd Degree
* Jepoardy
* Name that Tune
* The Joker's Wild!
* The Joker's Wild Jr.
Last edited by Shroo-man on Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 am, edited 8 times in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon May 05, 2008 9:31 am

Nice list! You know 'Master Labyrinth' was originally a german title, and later on Ravensburger published a dutch version as well.

Germany also has some nice exclusive reference titles, including a full encyclopedia and a medical encyclopedia. What was it called again?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 am

thanks I took it out the list. I havent seen the medical encyclopedia but the german encyclopedia is called "Bertelsmann Universal Lexikon". Also France has "Dictionnaire Hachette Multimédia" and Italy has one too "Dizionario Universale Multimediale Groiler Hachette"

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Tue May 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Just a couple to add...

Italy/Germany - ''Super Test''
Italy - Strip Poker Live (also translated into English)

France - Strip Poker Pro
France - Un Indien Dans La Ville (Le Film/Le Jeu)
France - Le Journal Interactif 1994
France - Le Joirnal Interactif 1995

Happy cd-i-ing!

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 07, 2008 6:54 am

Super Test is a very nice title, it's too bad it's only in german! It feels like a forerunner of all those 'Brain Training' games!

And ofcourse Un Indien dans la ville, which is a true gem uncovered by 'The World of CD-i', I hope they will return soon!

You could also add the USA exclusives like Jeopardy, 3rd Degree, Joker's Wild, Joker's Wild Junior, All the news and Views...

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed May 07, 2008 7:15 am

I believe that Die CD-i Mit Der Maus was also exclusively available in Germany.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

ive updated the list. I didn't include "super test" though because if its released in more than one countries its not exclusive. I didn't include the non games because the list would become too big. the "le journal" titles don't sound or look like games but I could be wrong??

cdifan if youre sure that is a game and not a childrens software I'll include it
Bas wrote: You could also add the USA exclusives like Jeopardy, 3rd Degree, Joker's Wild, Joker's Wild Junior, All the news and Views...
the thread was called european exclusives but I added them anyway. is "all the news and views" a game? edit: there appears to be a euro version, looks like there is one on ebay (item no: 320247180961)
Last edited by Shroo-man on Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 07, 2008 9:13 am

All the news and views is something like the news overviews we've had in The Netherlands as well, but it is specifically designed as a trivia game. So it's partly a reference title, partly a game. You decide. I only have the 1995 edition but if I remember correctly there was also a 1994 edition.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 am

cdifan wrote:I believe that Die CD-i Mit Der Maus was also exclusively available in Germany.

Have you found a copy of that disc? I remember you were looking for it!