cdi 450 rf modulator problem

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
toonie
Burn:Cycle Activated

cdi 450 rf modulator problem

Post by toonie » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:44 pm

hi, i have a cdi 450 with a rf modulator connection. the problem is that on my old flatscreen tv i could tune in no problems, but on the new lcd tv in my house it just dosnt give me no picture at all. can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there is another type of cable i can use to get a picture, or could it be that the rf modulator is now kaput! as i i have now through old telly out icant tell if it is or not. i have a hitachi lcd and have tried it on every mode but cant get signal. cdi light is on and disc is spinning so the machine is not the problem. cheers anyone.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:54 am

If you have digital TV instead of the analog signal I can imagine the modulator doesn't work anymore. But you can always use a different cable to connect it to SCART or the RGB jackets... I've no specific knowledge of the RF modulator, but nowadays you never see those anymore!

toonie

Post by toonie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:43 pm

thanks for reply, apparently these were used as the model didnt have a built in antenna, a take your point on the digital ,analogue thing. what does the scart rgb cable look like, as the rf modulator has two connections going in to machine which are fixed to a little square black box, with two connections for aerial in and out. anything is worth a try. cheers.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 am

If I remember correctly, the 450 CD-i player has a connection for the yellow video signal and one audio signal, so you could use this kind of cable:

And connect it to a display. That's the way how I always used mine!

There are also converters to connect these cables to a scart connector:

It depends on what types of connector your TV has. The RF modulator was used for old TV's who didn't yet have a scart or RGB connection. I'd guess, most of these TV's have passed away by now ;)

One last pic: Scart looks like this:

so you don't have to use the RF Modulator anymore. And you shouldn't, because the signal is rubbish :D

toonie

Post by toonie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:49 pm

thanks for that information, very helpful, could you please post another picture of the one you did after you say you could use this cable, as it has never showed up on post, and i cant seem to open it. cheers.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:52 am

ok:

I pull those from Google so if that one also doesn't work try googling "composite video cable" and you'll get plenty of these! These can be plugged right into the back of the 450 player.

You might also want to read page 10 of the official manual, which can be found as a PDF file right here

toonie

Post by toonie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 pm

thanks for your help on this matter it was much appreciated and very helpful. in the end a simple solution but i wasnt clued up. cheers :lol: