Complete collections

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
thomas
Softech Recruit

Complete collections

Post by thomas » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 am

I was just looking at Adol's Japanese collection on DP, where he's stating that he is only interested in Japan releases, and therefore has many full game sets as well, eg DC, SNES, N64, MegaDrive and so forth.

I also noticed that many USA collectors have 'full' collection of game sets, but they only count US releases as collecting for a 'full' set, eg NES - USA releases, SNES - USA releases, and, someone just finished, Genesis - USA releases.

Me, I always was a 'world -over' collector, meaning I try to complete a system with the WHOLE range of software from any part of the world. For example, I got a complete N-Gage collection including the OZ/Asia -only title (Sega Rally), US - only title (NCAA), Europe -only title (Flo Boarding).

This doesn't mean I collect 1 game three times, if it was released in USA, Japan, Europe, for example Super Mario Bros on NES. One copy is sufficient, I don't care if it is from US, Japan or Europe, whichever was easiest to collect. I also understand that some titles are very difficult to collect, eg the Sachen games from Taiwan for the NES system. Or Tank Command for 7800. I concider my 7800 collection complete without Tank Command, as ithis title is near impossible to collect.

So, does anyone here have a complete CDi collection, let's say games only, from the world over.

Does anyone here have a 'complete' CDi collection USA releases only?
Or Europe-only CDi releases?

Does anyone here have a complete CDi collection, worldwide releases, inlcuding games, demos and non-games, films (only with CDi logo on spine).

Anyone near completion, whichever way 'complete' means for him/her?

Calypso
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Calypso » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Its impossible to say I have all the games on CD-i, I have many.
There are also games around that are never been released, some of them are in my collection Voyeur 2 (only the first disk, with damaged sectors, to old writable CD), Battle Chess (playable). NOT FOR SALE
The games in Europa have not all the same languages, some games are translated, you have French, German and Dutch editions.

Films, movies on CD-i are for each country in Europe different, with subtitles or spoken word in the language of the country.
I have some movies in 4-5 different languages (norsk, swedish and danish etc.)
Not all movies on CD-i have CD-i content some are only VideoCD and playable on CD-i.

Educational (some of them are adapted for each country) and industrial Cd-i's I collect as well, but I don't have that many (some acquire aditional hardware to use).

So my collection will never be complete.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Calypso,

That's really cool that you have Battle Chess - I had no idea that a playable version of this game existed!

What is the game like to play? Would love to hear more about it!

Thanks
Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:16 pm

his prototype was covered on The Black Moon Project and you can still read about it here, including videos.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I know one thing for sure my collection of CDi titles is nowhere near complete, is more like the tip of the ice berg, although i would love to have more, lack of a job (still) is prohibiting my ability to collect more from anywhere eaven the cheap ones on Ebay haha.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:52 am

Calypso wrote:some of them are in my collection Voyeur 2 (only the first disk, with damaged sectors, to old writable CD)
Too bad that you're from the Netherlands and that I didn't see this thread earlier. CD-Rs with damaged sectors are something I deal with daily, it wouldn't be a problem to recover the data.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:51 pm

The data from Voyeur 2 is safe, don't worry. It plays without any error on my CD-i. It's too bad we only have the first disc, not the second...

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Bas wrote:It plays without any error on my CD-i.
That doesn't mean much. If you can't dump the disc without ecc errors, then the data is not safe and the game may crash somewhere.

Did the 2nd disc actually exist? Maybe the CD-i version was simply never completed.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:20 pm

It's hard to believe they created only one disc, when the game itself asks for disc number 2 while playing. Our sources claim the disc was intended to come out on two discs as well, and that the game was near completion before Philips pulled the plug out of the CD-i. So I think disc nr 2 should exist.

But, to clarify my earlier post, I have a dump of the voyeur 2 CD-i disc on my back-up drive, so I guess it's safe :)

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Bas wrote:But, to clarify my earlier post, I have a dump of the voyeur 2 CD-i disc on my back-up drive, so I guess it's safe :)
And to clarify my earlier post, if sectors were bad, you got corrupt data. Period. The problem is that the CD-i uses Data Mode 2 XA, so you can dump a damaged disc, but without the required knowledge, you won't even notice that the dump is bad. You need to check for C2 erros first to get a first impression of the disc quality, and then you need to make multiple RAW dumps to isolate bad sectors. And only then you can actually start to restore the data.

Anyway, the conclusion is, if your dump is from Calypso's disc, then your dump is bad. The dump was made many, many months ago and the disc has aged furter since that. That's why I said that I regret not seeing this thread earlier...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't know the details on how they dealt with the bad sectors so I can't answer that (I guess neither do you). But the fact is as far as it goes, it's without any errors. As the game was in a prototype version, I'd expect crashes anyway ;)

So I wouldn't go as far as suggesting that the dump is bad already...

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Re: Complete collections

Post by Shroo-man » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:18 am

thomas wrote:I was just looking at Adol's Japanese collection on DP, where he's stating that he is only interested in Japan releases, and therefore has many full game sets as well, eg DC, SNES, N64, MegaDrive and so forth.

I also noticed that many USA collectors have 'full' collection of game sets, but they only count US releases as collecting for a 'full' set, eg NES - USA releases, SNES - USA releases, and, someone just finished, Genesis - USA releases.
The easiest way to get a complete set of game for CD-i would be to choose a country which only has 2-3 games. For example Italy, Germany or Sweden (in order of least to most difficult to collect). The most difficult no doubt is Japan which only has 3 games but they are way too rare to ever hope of completing the set.
thomas wrote:So, does anyone here have a complete CDi collection, let's say games only, from the world over.

Does anyone here have a 'complete' CDi collection USA releases only?
Or Europe-only CDi releases?

Does anyone here have a complete CDi collection, worldwide releases, inlcuding games, demos and non-games, films (only with CDi logo on spine).

Anyone near completion, whichever way 'complete' means for him/her?
My most complete set is French games which I have 4 out of 7 games (waiting for two of them to arrive). I am trying to collect the exclusive for all the non-major market countries but I'm not focusing on just one country. I just buy them as I see them - if I can afford it at the time.

It will be a very long time before I complete them all (except Japan). Once I have all the exclusive releases from the smaller countries I would focus on getting all games for Europe and United States. Then I might move on getting all games for all countries - e.g titles like Burn:Cycle, Tennis, etc released in smaller countries Netherland, Germany, Italy, etc

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 am

WindowsKiller wrote:Too bad that you're from the Netherlands and that I didn't see this thread earlier. CD-Rs with damaged sectors are something I deal with daily, it wouldn't be a problem to recover the data.
I'd like to know more info about this. Because I have a prototype which I backed up but with errors. The original plays fine and doesn't crash. But how can I back up a copy with no errors?

phatrat1982
Softech Recruit

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 am

I am one of those USA only collectors I am that way with everything movies, comics, video games, even Transformers (which is hard because some of the Japanese toys are actually pretty cool looking) but the main reason I stick to USA only is not as much national pride (plays a small part I must admit) but mostly because ease of collecting. For me it just keeps me from going insane trying to keep track of every countries exclusives. Sometimes it is hard enough just keeping track of the USA stuff at times.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 am

True, but you can miss out on some real cool stuff that way.

Myself, I've got a narrow range of imports I collect, only video games. Even then, only for select consoles that are my favorites.