Issues with Burn:Cycle and Voyeur on a DVS

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Ganelon
Burn:Cycle Activated

Issues with Burn:Cycle and Voyeur on a DVS

Post by Ganelon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:43 am

Hi, I recently bought a used DVS CD-i and some new games and was having trouble with 2 of them. I've read that the CD-i is generally pretty intolerant regarding scratches but I'm just wondering whether it's the DVS system, or my DVS system in particular that's the issue.

For Burn:Cycle, I originally had a used copy with one faint scratch that would frequently cut to a blue screen with a disc reading error followed by a restart. I bought a new copy yet noticed that there were 3 slight scratches on the disc right out of the factory seal. The disc read errors have stopped but I encounter something else.

When I play, it sometimes (after maybe ~15 loads) displays rows of glitchy rainbow colored lines around the screen, which seems to either be an issue reading from the disc or a CD-i display issue of some sort. This doesn't seem to affect anything else (no crashing that I've encountered). I think I sometimes see these rainbow-colored lines in the intro screens for my other games too although not anywhere else in-game.

For Voyeur, after loading some movie, the game will sometimes just pop up a blue screen and then immediately crash and restart. Needless to say, this is pretty frustrating. The disc was originally sealed and has no scratches that I can see. This leads me to think that either my system is messed up, the DVS player just doesn't play Voyeur right, or that the game is buggy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:16 am

I don't think the DVS system was part of the test cycle of each CD-i title. I haven't heard a lot of people playing on the DVS system, and I don't have one myself.

What I would guess is that's just incompatibility between Philips software and non-Philips CD-i players.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:02 pm

both Voyeur and Burn:Cycle work fine on my DVS player. those are some pretty strange problem I've never encountered. one suggestion I can think of is to make sure you use the appropriate Mhz setting. For example if you are using a PAL version of game use the 50Mhz setting or the 60Mhz setting for an NTSC game. The switch is on the back but you may need to use a stepdown transformer