New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
missyrelm
Burn:Cycle Activated

Hi from N. Cali, USA

Post by missyrelm » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:03 am

Hi,

My wife and I are new to this forum. We are in our late 30s.

We both love retro-gaming, and love all kinds of different old systems. We are particularly interested in some of the more obscure and “off the beaten path” consoles.

I love to make lists, and have been working on several over the last year (like all point-n-click games on consoles, my co-op game list, all rhythm games list, all games not released in the US, Japan or the UK.- There’s loads of existing lists, but none are comprehensive, etc. etc.)

While making these lists, the Philips CD-I kept coming up in the strangest places.

It came up a lot in FMV and “weird game” lists, and has a very interesting and strange catalog of games.

When looking up console Point-n-clicks I found a very interesting list of games that seemed to have point-n-click elements while not being a traditional “point-n-click”.

The CD-I came up again when I was looking into games not available in the US, UK or Japan. I came across the following thread from this forum:
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2092

And then there was the strange stuff: Mystic Midway: Phantom Express
Made my wife and I want to get the CD-I right then… A game designed to make you hate yourself? Played on a somewhat phallic controller? WTF?!?!? Punk Rock!

And hopefully it doesn’t offend anyone, but a console with Zelda games and a Mario game that pissed everyone off also attracts us to the console.

And we love bad FMV and interactive video, starting out on that with the Sega CD and 3DO.

So anyway, while we don’t have one yet, we plan on getting one, due in a large part to my lurkage on this forum, and You-Tube videos.

We have the following consoles:
(Atari 2600, TI-99/4A, Tomy Tutor, 3DO, Genesis/Sega CD, Duo-R/PC-Engine, N64, NES, Jaguar, SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, and a Gamecube with GBA player)

We are also into homebrew, and are starting with the Jaguar, and collect modern and retro/vintage copiers and ram carts, as well as Barbies and Japanese dolls, so our living room is full of old consoles, games and Barbies!

Anyway, we just wanted to say hi to everyone and to say how this console got on our radar J

I don’t know how many people from the USA are here but if anyone here is in Humboldt (its on the coast and at the very top of the state, about an hour south of Oregon), drop us a line.....

Also, we are curious on what the best CD-I to get. The 220 comes up a lot, though, I’ve read of some models that might be better in some ways, we are still reading up on the models.

mattyg

Post by mattyg » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 am

Big Aussie hello to everyone!

Some of you may know me from the 3do forums , but this is my first time here!
Was about to purchase my very first CD-i today , however , I dropped the ball a bit on an Ebay auction and got snipered!

Oh the horror

bloody frustrating actually - so here I am attempting to learn as much as I can about the Cd-I and hopefully get one soon.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Welcome to the forum

To bad you missed out on the auction, I hate being snipped to but I guess it works both ways.

You'll soon find the CD-i your looking for at the right price.
There cheap enough to buy anyway :)

Darqlink51

Post by Darqlink51 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi! I'm also new. I don't physically own a CD-i, but I do have an emulator (I sincerely hope that's not taboo) for the sole purpose of playing the Zelda and Mario CD-i games. I hope to add more to my collection soon, maybe some that are actually good.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Welcome to the forums

I've yet to have success with the emulator, none of the games I want to play seem to work on the emu :(

Darqlink51

Post by Darqlink51 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Yeah, I actually torrented it, but none of the things want to download. I currently only have the three Zelda games, Hotel Mario, Mario's Wacky Worlds, and Mutant Rampage: Body Slam but only Faces of Evil, Wand of Gamelon, and Hotel Mario want to work.

mrpunch

Just got a CD-i Collection

Post by mrpunch » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:36 am

As the title says, just bought a CD-i Collection and I'd like to get involved in this Forum.

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Mr. Punch

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:54 am

Welcome! If you're new to CD-i, be sure to check out this introduction review of the Philips CD-i

Buyatari

Post by Buyatari » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi guys.

I found the site doing a google search for CD-I prototypes. I found one and wanted to see if I could find information about them. Never had a CD-I system before so I am rookie to this stuff.

K1ngArth3r
Sum Zero Barman

Post by K1ngArth3r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Welcome BuyAtari,

I regonise your name from ebay and Assembler forums.

Are you refering to the 602n or am I thinking of the dev box?

Did you find one for sale or in somebody's collection?

That's a piece of hardware i'd like :)

Buyatari

Post by Buyatari » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:02 am

K1ngArth3r wrote:Welcome BuyAtari,

I regonise your name from ebay and Assembler forums.

Are you refering to the 602n or am I thinking of the dev box?

Did you find one for sale or in somebody's collection?

That's a piece of hardware i'd like :)
No I found a disc prototype (Micro Machines) in of all places my own house. Not the most orgainzed collection.

CRADthebarbarian

Who am I

Post by CRADthebarbarian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 pm

I'm CRADthebarbarian, just joined a few weeks ago. I'm in Arizona, and I came to be here, because I am interested in CD-I emulation.
"Defeat me and they'll make your face the greatest in all of Coroni, or else you will DIE!!"
Gannon

Worldslayer

Post by Worldslayer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:34 am

Hey everybody,
the name's Dave, Also known as Worldslayer (just World will do)
I've been playing CD-I a lot as a kid, but over time I lost interest in it as there were no new games coming out. Now however I picked it up again and am trying to buy more games for my collection (currently I only have Hotel Mario, The Palm Springs open and Voyeur)
I found out about this forum when I tried to play Hotel Mario a couple of days in a row but found out that he wasn't saving the files. So I came in search of a solution. And I was like, what the heck why not join the CD-I community.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Philips cd-i guys!

There are some great games out there if you can find them! Also, try and snap up a copy of Devin's brilliant article in retrogamer magazine issue 32, which gives an in-depth insight into Philips cd-i and it's games. Also, check out Bas' website Interactive Dreams.

Happy New Year gaming!

Alan

Chaofanatic

Post by Chaofanatic » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Hello there!

I'm Chaofanatic and I make movies that use cd-i characters.
I guess you could call it youtube poop... But its realy more of epic films staring ytp characters...