Just bought a CDi - Joystick Problems

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Bigun
Burn:Cycle Activated

Just bought a CDi - Joystick Problems

Post by Bigun » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:47 pm

Two of them actually.

One of them the tray does not open. The other simply display "Error".

I think I may have more luck with the one displaying "error", which is the CDI220.

Where should I start?
Last edited by Bigun on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigun

Post by Bigun » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Alright, some progress.

I got the tray to open on one of the units.

Now that I have the cover off both, it seems the issue is that the drives simply are not spinning the CD's up.

Also, from re-reading the auction page I bought them off of, it seems these were put into storage for a few years (8 or 9), then he decided to sell them.

So am I looking at some belt replacements or what?

Bigun

Post by Bigun » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:30 pm

More progress...

Got the motor fixed and the CD-i is functional, now I cannot get the joysticks to work. I plugged one in the back, another in the front, I cannot get either to respond. Any hints?

Bigun

Post by Bigun » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 am

Ok, I got both units playing CD's (by switching out the Laser/Motor portion of the unit), and either I have two CD-i's, with a combination of 4 non-functional ports, or I have 3 bad gamepads.

The gamepads I have are the ones with 4 buttons and a d-pad with an optional stick to go in the center.

Which is more likely bad?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Not that I have any clue, but what is the other CD-i type of player? Have you switched parts of both players? It sounds unlikely that 3 gamepads are broken, and they should work on all types of players, afaik!

Apparently none of us have any idea ;)

Bigun

Post by Bigun » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 pm

The other CDi is a CDI910.

The only part switched between the two is the part that spins and reads the CD. It's only functional one between the two and seem to be interchangeable between them.