Link and Zelda Saving

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Collision Cat
Burn:Cycle Activated

Link and Zelda Saving

Post by Collision Cat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:00 am

Hello! I'm a proud owner of a CD-i 450 and the games Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. I've got a problem though - when I save, it appears to be fine - until I turn the system off. Upon turning it back on, all my saved data is lost. Could it be because my copies of the games are promotional copies that say "FOR DEMONSTRATION ONLY NOT FOR RESALE" on the discs? Or is the internal memory on my CD-i dead? I don't have any other games to test it with. Thanks!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 am

The "FOR DEMONSTRATION ONLY NOT FOR RESALE" discs are the same games as the retail pressings, so It can't

For your cd-i player being around 15 years old (I guess), it sounds more logical the battery is (almost) empty.

It strikes with stories that when the battery is dead your player is too, though. I'm not too sure if that is with any philips cd-i player.

LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

Post by LuigiBlood » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I had problems with CDi 210 for the battery, but i did buy a CDi 450, the battery is still working. I can save and nothing's lost.

jgreve1

Post by jgreve1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:57 pm

Without a doubt the onboard battery that is located on the Timekeeper chip is dead. :(

Collision Cat

Post by Collision Cat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Ah, and I take it that's not easy to replace like the Sega Saturn's battery? That's a shame. But thanks a lot for the help! :)

jgreve1

Post by jgreve1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 pm

No it's not at all like replacing a Sega Saturn battery,unfortunatlely. You have to grind away the plastic on the chip to gain access to the battery Then you have to solder wires to the existing battery wires and run the wires to a new battery that you mount(hopefully in a holder of some sort) somewhere in the insides of the unit. I've done it but it's a bit dicey A Dremel moto-tool comes in handy. There are good instructions with pics on the web somewhere. It can be done....

Collision Cat

Post by Collision Cat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 pm

Ah, okies. I can't really see myself doing that, but thanks! :)

RiseAbove873

Re: Link and Zelda Saving

Post by RiseAbove873 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Collision Cat wrote:Hello! I'm a proud owner of a CD-i 450 and the games Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. I've got a problem though - when I save, it appears to be fine - until I turn the system off. Upon turning it back on, all my saved data is lost. Could it be because my copies of the games are promotional copies that say "FOR DEMONSTRATION ONLY NOT FOR RESALE" on the discs? Or is the internal memory on my CD-i dead? I don't have any other games to test it with. Thanks!

I have the exact same problem, except that my games aren't demonstration copies. This sucks. There's definitely nothing we can do about this, besides opening the system up and grinding and soldering? Has anybody ever tried contacting Philip's or Magnavox?

rockclimber

replace the timekeeper battery

Post by rockclimber » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi,
just look around the forum for info on changing the timekeeper chip or battery. It looks quite hard to do but is in fact fairly easy to do. What have you got to lose if it doesn't work anyway?
I managed to do mine with no problems. I removed the top layer of plastic off the chip to expose the battery and then cut the wire legs running from the battery into the chip and soldered two wires from these legs to a new 3v car alarm battery (cr2032). Problem solved.
Paul.