Moved: cdi 210 problem

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Moved: cdi 210 problem

Post by Bas » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:52 am

Hold on gamespy users, this is the new place:

Board Guest:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

Im hoping someone can help me. Im also sorry if this has been asked and answered by someone else in the past
I have a Philips CDI 210.
Sadly it fails to read any CD's. Ive tried CD-I games Music Cd's and Video CD's. I know the problem is not the CDs as Ive tried them on a different CDI player and they worked fine.
On the LCD display a message pops up saying "ERROR"

Does anyone know how I can get it working.

I have taken the CDI apart to see what the drive was doing and when you put a CD in the laser ticks but the CD does not start spinning.

Is there anyway I can replace the CD drive or the Laser cheaply. Or does someone have a spare CDI thats broken but the drive still works that they wouldnt mind parting with.

Any help will be appreciated

Foleyjo
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Foleyjo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:42 pm

LOL thats my post. Before I read the one about the site closing and this new site :oops:

Calypso
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Calypso » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:01 pm

We did have this question in the past on the blackmoon forum.

One possible problem can be that the dish that turns the CD-i is blocked.
I'd the same problem in a smashed CDI210 and with a CDI370.
Check if the CD-i can turn smoothly if not the next is applicable:

This blocking is a result of to much pressure on the dish that turns the CD-i. The dish is pressed against the motorhousing.
By putting two small screwdrivers under the dish at opposite sides you can try to lift it, so that it turns smoothly.
Be careful the dish can break.

This methode can also be used when some media CD-R is badly or not read.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Calypso wrote:This blocking is a result of to much pressure on the dish that turns the CD-i. The dish is pressed against the motorhousing.
By putting two small screwdrivers under the dish at opposite sides you can try to lift it, so that it turns smoothly.
This seems to be a very common problem with older CD game systems.

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:44 pm

I think that might be the solution Im looking for. Ill try it in the morning.
I did turn the cd and it felt really stiff.
Ive been looking at a new cd tray but I cant afford them. But if this is the solution Ill be buzzing.
I do have one of the small console style models which works fine so I can play CDI games whatever happens. I just prefer the look of the older models on the shelf

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:36 pm

THANKS FOR THE HELP PEOPLE

I can safely say my CD drive now spins. I tried what you said and it was the problem.

Only problem now is it wipes the saves when switched off.
I shall go and read up on the other thread about this problem.

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

How to?

Post by oaacdi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:29 am

I am having the same problem with one of my units, but have no clue on how to do this. Is it possibke to post a picture on how to do this?

Calypso wrote:This blocking is a result of to much pressure on the dish that turns the CD-i. The dish is pressed against the motorhousing.
By putting two small screwdrivers under the dish at opposite sides you can try to lift it, so that it turns smoothly. Be careful the dish can break!

TerraTron

It wipes the saves?

Post by TerraTron » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:35 am

seems the timekeeper ram fails....

but I have a solution for this problem....

I wrote a HowTo: Repair your Timekeeper ram

take a look at it here

Good luck and let me know....

TerraTron
We don't want to link everything... Just index..

vwrafi

Post by vwrafi » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 pm

My Philips CDI 220 also don't want to spin a CD . When I put a CD in it and push ON button it says ERROR on the display and CD won't to spin . So I try the solution with lifting the dish , and ......... it works :D :D :D Whiiiiiiii . Thx Calypso .

Luscinia

Re: How to?

Post by Luscinia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21 am

oaacdi wrote:I am having the same problem with one of my units, but have no clue on how to do this. Is it possibke to post a picture on how to do this?

By putting two small screwdrivers under the dish at opposite sides you can try to lift it, so that it turns smoothly. Be careful the dish can break!
Yea, was hoping for the same thing. I'm not sure of what exactly you are supposed to do, so a picture would be nice. I don't want to break it! D:

megaman

Post by megaman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:28 pm

I have the excact same issue, Could someone post a picture or something explaining how to do this??

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Picture

Post by oaacdi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:37 pm

megaman wrote:I have the excact same issue, Could someone post a picture or something explaining how to do this??
I've beeing waiting to see a pic since Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:29 am :cry:

megaman

Post by megaman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:58 pm

:( cant some of you guys that have fixed this pleace take a picture??

Or atleast try to explain it a little betther?

The dish, is that the litte round plastic that presses down on the cdi disc?

Is this where i should place some screwes+??

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm

unfortunately Calypso is rarely online, so I don't expect an answer from him. When the player is running, you can lift the front of the cd tray a little by using a screwdriver or something else that's flat. In this way you can take away the pressure that might be between the tray and the spinning mechanism on which the CD lands when the tray is closed. This might help when a disc gives an error message.

I hope this helps! I don't have a p[layer here so it's hard for me to take a picture.

megaman

Post by megaman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:16 am

Thanks for the reply Bas.

Ill try this tomorrow :)