CD-I 450 memory issue

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Worldslayer
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-I 450 memory issue

Post by Worldslayer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:38 am

okay,, so I own a CD-I 450. I tried to play some games like Hotel Mario and the Palm Springs open on it. it all works perfectly except saving. when I turn off the console for too long the games can't read the save data anymore. But I CAN see my savefiles in the system menu itself just fine. it shows me all my played (and saved) games...
I know it's probably something silly like a dead battery or something. But I think it's strange that the CD-I 450 confirms the savefiles but the games can't read em.
oh but it doesn't store the time settings, so I'm really thinking it might be a dead battery.

Collision Cat

Post by Collision Cat » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:36 am

My CD-i 450 does the same, except it doesn't even show any saved data in the system menu. With help from the people on this forum, we concluded that it was indeed a dead battery.

mrpunch

Post by mrpunch » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:27 pm

I've also had the same problem, and I found this:

http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/11/cdi-45 ... y-tip.html

I've opened up my 450 and got as far as soldering the lithium battery onto the casing, and I have no idea how to do it and where exaclty to put it.

If anyone with any technical knowhow or anyone who has done it before can help me out, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Mr. Punch

rockclimber

time keeper battery

Post by rockclimber » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Basically the time keeper chip has a battery built into the top of it. You can't see the battery because it is embedded in the body of the chip and wasn't designed to be replaced. However I read a thread on this site by terratron and he describes how to do it in detail. I followed his advice and have done mine and it works fine now. you need to first locate the timekeeper chip, if you read some of the other threads on here it will tell you the chip number(I can't remember it right now). Then you need to find which end of the chip has the battery on it and remove enough of the surface material of the chip to expose the battery and the wires that go from it into the chip itself. Then cut the wires and solder two leads onto the ends with a battery holder on so you can replace the battery whenever you need to. It's not as hard as it all sounds.
Look on page two of the technical support forum and there is a thread there all about it.
I can take some pics of mine if you want to see how it looks afterwards.
I have just found a copy of terratron's instructions here:
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310
go right to the end of the thread and it has been put there.

nrg78

Post by nrg78 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 am

And another question finding some answers! My 450 saves scores, FTS's and time/date . . . . until I turn it off.. and it looses everything! so, dead batterie it is ...

I do remember my oooooooooooold Amstrad CPC having a lid for the FOUR AA batts... here, all we needed would be a small lid for a cr2032 batt or similar, underneath the 450 main unit... ;)

Soon i'll read the article and try to open my unit.

Dan
Long (re)Live CD-i! =)