CDi Music Converter (Found it !)

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

CDi Music Converter (Found it !)

Post by LuigiBlood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 am

It converts RTR and RTF files to WAV (works on Zelda CDi games and Hotel Mario, it should work with other games too) !

It requires Java v5 or higher :
http://code.google.com/p/jpsxdec/

Also, you need this file to make it work perfectly (it's an index file) :
http://www.mediafire.com/?znwzonxd5tf

Sometimes the music is slow, that's normal, use Audacity or something like that to make it have it's normal speed.

EDIT :
List of working games for jPSXdec :
Hotel Mario (English and French Versions)
Link: Faces of Evil (English, French and German Versions)
Zelda: Wand of Gamelon (English and French Versions)
Zelda's Adventure

(I will edit when i try other games and if it don't work, i will try to make it work)
Last edited by LuigiBlood on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

Post by LuigiBlood » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:28 am

Video showing how to convert CDi audio to WAV :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxdELuxh4f0

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:07 am

very nicely done! I haven't tried it myself but you're up on the frontpage!

LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

Post by LuigiBlood » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:04 pm

The programmer of jPSXdec was talking to me, he says he will make a new version that's supports a little better the CDi Games.
Then i say then that it was too bad that it wasn't supporting video files (not MPEG video !!), but i actually say that Hotel Mario and some other games, use CLUT or DYUV for the background, and Run Length for the animation.
I'm french, so sometimes my english can be wrong.

novabeam10
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by novabeam10 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:27 pm

tried using the program + index file but can't get it to work no matter what I try. I jeep getting the Java error (thats why I hate Java)
Any ideas?>

LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

Post by LuigiBlood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Java error, was it this :

If you have this, don't worry about that, it's still working.
The WAV should appear on the jPSXdec folder.
If not, then, try another one on the list.
Also, which game was it ?

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 am

Just a random idea but how about having a thread, displaying all the known music/sound for the games and list which channel contains what.

Like a sort of database but without actally having to use an actual database, or maybe a sub-forum for each game and list in its own thread.

Or alternatively add to the individual game info threads already existing, with the information like what file(s) and which channel(s) contain what music/sounds.

I only sugest this as im currently in the process of makign my own list at this second for the Lords of the Rising Sun.

On a side note is it just LOTRS that has the music saved slower than how it is played via the player?

LuigiBlood
Softech Recruit

Post by LuigiBlood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 am

tgn_rogue wrote:On a side note is it just LOTRS that has the music saved slower than how it is played via the player?
No, Hotel Mario, and the Zelda CDi games also have slower music, especially on the BGM.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am

Interesting, does this mean that the Playstation 1 shares some file formats with CD-i? I didn't know that.

It would make sense because the ADPCM audio part of CD-i (and CD-ROM) was developed by Sony...

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:44 pm

LuigiBlood wrote:
tgn_rogue wrote:On a side note is it just LOTRS that has the music saved slower than how it is played via the player?
No, Hotel Mario, and the Zelda CDi games also have slower music, especially on the BGM.
Ahh thats interesting, and seing as I actually spent some time years ago trying to learn to play CDi music on my keyboad this might come in very handy if i take up the project again sometime in the future, as you get to actually hear every note the way they are saved.

opt_fr_
Softech Recruit

Post by opt_fr_ » Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Edit : It's working, Ive found the solution :) Great job !

Hello there

I've tried with hotel mario files (15th, exit.rtf with the index) and it doesn't work for me. It displays the exception and doesn't write anything in the jps folder.
Ive tried this with the latest version of java with a mac and a pc.

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Gee this is confusing, how were these things build up? I'm trying this with Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon and I can get music from the zmusic.rtr file but from channles 0 all the way through to 7! A lot of the music is from the same track but slightly different, are all these different 'reditions' of a song different tracks that need to be combined to get the full songs! Get's me a bit confused haha.

Anyway, it's really great that it's at least posible now to rip some music of the CD-i games. Hope this proces will become easier in the future though!
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 am

This does make it confusing but a bit easier to rip the music especially the music on hard to reach levels, but you could always resort to the physical method, using your soundcards Line in and a male to male audio cable plugged ino your TV's or CD-i's headphone jack and some recording software like WavePad. thats how I used to rip the music and Audio from the games years ago.

Seb
Softech Recruit

Post by Seb » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah, that's how I used to do it too. That works really well for some games (Tetris for example), however in others, or most rather, the sound effects can get in the way.
Check out my YouTube channel for some CD-i reviews!

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes,I found that very annoying a times, although with a clever bit of tweaking editign and actual physical timing on the CDi you can get around sfx in some games. The hardest one I found on my original collection of soundtracks was the Horseback Persuit minigame on Lords of the Rising Sun, as in order to get through the complete track loop you had to keep up with the general, without hitting the trees/rocks or running over or killing any of the soldiers, AND without falling too far behind. Was a nightmare, but I managed it in the end.