Best games that does not use the Digital Video cart?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
CD-i 450
Burn:Cycle Activated

Best games that does not use the Digital Video cart?

Post by CD-i 450 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Hello I recently bought a cd-i and noticed that a great deal of cd-i games use the DV-cart so i'm curious if anyone can recommend what the best games are that does not use the cart since I don't have one:)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi! Welcome! Try:

-The Apprentice
-Burn:cycle
-Pac-Panic
-Lemmings
-Dimo's Quest

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Thank you for the recommendations , I think i'm gonna try Secret Mission too since it seems to be the only game on cd-i that is alot like the old Lucas Arts point and click advs.

It's weird that Litil Divil on cd-i uses the DV-cart cause I can't remembering it having any full-motion videos on Amiga CD32.

Also i'm curious if theres any small cd-i irc-channel where people hang in ?:)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 am

There used to be, but it doesn't exist anymore (or there is just no-one in there). Thankfully we've got here still one little pretty place for people to discuss CD-i :)

The Digital Video Cartridge was not only used to display FMV video. It had extra memory on board that is accessed during gameplay in some games like in Litil Divil (for example the moving backgrounds in the puzzles), Atlantis (for caching the levels), Creature Shock (for changing discs without losing power). That's what was supposed to be the case with Rise of the Robots which states it uses the Digital Video cartridge, and it actually uses the extra memory but it's hard tos ee where it was used for. There's a nice story of that you can read here.

And yes, Secret Mission really belongs to the tips too, that's a great base-case CD-i game!

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I got a http://www.icdia.co.uk/accesories/22er9019.gif with my cd-i and i really would prefer the http://www.icdia.co.uk/accesories/22er9017.gif joystick instead , do you know if its possible to slaughter a megadrive joystick and solder a ps/2 input on it and it would work or does the cd-i joysticks have any special chips inside them?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm

afaik you need the electronic part of the cd-i pad. It's been done before with a genesis pad converting the cd-i inside into a genesis gamepad. You can read about it here

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Theres no real schematics on how to solder that one just some fancy pictures so not much help if you would want to build one yourself.

there are schematics for the cd-i joypad adapter but that one looks a bit too tricky for my taste , would be easier if he could just release some high res pictures of where to solder the chip in a pad then i could solve the rest myself.

Guess i'll just have to dig around shops for a new joystick.

cdiplayer
Softech Recruit

Post by cdiplayer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:37 pm

The Apprentice and Hotel Mario
oh and Lemmings :lol:

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 am

Bas wrote:afaik you need the electronic part of the cd-i pad. It's been done before with a genesis pad converting the cd-i inside into a genesis gamepad. You can read about it here
Watch the pictures closely and you'll see how small the eventual circuit boards ends to be, and the relinking of the buttons is a difficult job if you're not experienced with electronics! Please note neither 'The Fixer' nor Interactive Dreams takes any responsibility for any damage you get by altering your CD-i hardware. Be careful and remember it's at your own risk!

Thanks to 'The Fixer', Retroforum.nl

I really need to get in contact with The Fixer and now Retroforum.nl is gone so I can't find him there either so if anyone knows him please tell him to come to this forum so we can discuss in detail how to solder this.

nissling

Post by nissling » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I don't have a CD-i anymore since I sold it for a half-year ago (I needed money) but I have to say that I really recommend Burn: Cycle since it's one of the best games that I ever played (together with Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Resident Evil (1, original), Final Fight CD and Final Fantasy VII.)

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Nissling do you still have any accessories left for it that you want to sell to me? ;) (hard to find other swedes with cd-i stuff!)

nissling

Post by nissling » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Nope, I'm sorry but I don't have anything CD-i related stuff left. I sold everything I had with exceptions of Lemmings and Burn: Cycle. I keeped them in about two months becuse I thougt that I would buy another CD-i in the future but then I realized that I wouldn't spend more money on the CD-i so I gave the games to the guy who bought my CD-i for free.

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:39 pm

d'oh :/

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I know not everyone will agree with me (some do) but Voyeur is an entertaining game and it doesn't use the DV cartridge. Also I think Big Bang Show doesn't either and it's a nice addictive little game.

I strongly recommend you do get a DV cartridge though. The CD-i's one strength above all other machines is it's digital video capability. It's a DV powerhouse, without digital video it would be a pretty useless machine.

CD-i 450

Post by CD-i 450 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:59 pm

I have actually managed to get the video cart now so i can play all the other cd-i titles now that require it :)

The big mission now is trying to get an ok joystick for the cd-i as you can't really play some games with the standard pointer device , its near impossible to do long jumps in Flashback with it.