look out! ebay seller sells fake copies of zelda cd-i games!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Frustrated
Burn:Cycle Activated

look out! ebay seller sells fake copies of zelda cd-i games!

Post by Frustrated » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:09 pm

NOTE: i am not 100% sure on all of this. it's just what i have come to suspect.

i came here and posted up my picture of 3 odd looking zelda cd-i games i found. There was no color on the front, and i took the picture directly from the ebay auction of which i bought them from.

I was told it's a copy, and i looked a few threads down, and shockingly, same case.

It was the same disc. a colorless zelda's adventure. The same style of photographry, and the SAME WOOD BACKGROUND.

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2400
Stevio1312's COPY OF ZELDAS ADVENTURE
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2449
THE COPY I GOT

these were only 3 months apart, and i'd be willing to bet we got them from the same seller, coke364, who was claiming they thought they were promos of some sort. Unless Stevio1312 is coke364, but thats very unlikly.

Look at the 2 pictures side by side, and you will see, the picture was taken in the same spot, with 2 copies, which they probably made, and are selling every few months.

These copies are only worth about 1 Euro, and i think it should be brought to the attention of the cd-i community.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Ah, yes, it does now fit into place. Thanks for the warning.

Moreover perhaps you should inform ebay? Selling copies as if they were original should be grounds for a refund I believe if you paid via PayPal.

Worth a shot. Anyway I shall be investigating this a little further.

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Devin wrote: Anyway I shall be investigating this a little further.
His recent auctions:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 am

oh my god, it's true! he's selling fake copies of zelda cd-i! somebody should inform ebay... or tell me how to, lol.

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:28 am

what do you guys think of me selling the games when i get them, and specifying they are copies? i bet someone out there just wants the game for less then 200 dollars.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

There is a process through ebay and PayPal for these problems, just have a good look on each respective website for the answers.

Also selling these copies as 'copies' would not be advisable on ebay. Kinda defeats the case to recoup your money!

This seller has made quite a bit of money out of these, getting into the hundreds of dollars. That's only from recent auctions!

Lios

Post by Lios » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:49 am

No offense to anyone who bought these, but I can't believe anyone feel for some lightscribe bootleg zelda cd-i games. As it's been stated their appearance is completely inconsistent with actual preproduction copies of cd-i software. Forget the fact he that he claims he got them at a NYC comic con, yet fails to explain how he got a crap ton of them. Ignore the fact that he seems to ONLY have the most valuable cd-i games available in these mystery "promo" discs, or that they are exactly the same binary data wise as the actual releases. Let's just forget one of the games was released almost a full year after the first 2, destroying the possibility that these were preview/promo discs of some kind (If two of the three games had been out a year by then, what would have been the point? Isn't the idea to SELL a game after it's released, not give it away and in mass quantities apparently a year after being on the market with dismal sales?)

This is a much more compelling argument:

This is a pic of a Philips branded lightscribe cd-r taken from an ebay auction. As you can see it also has the "Philips" imprinted in the center part of the cd, and the exact same shade of bronze all lightscribe cd-rs have.

As for complaining to ebay, it may or may not do any good. Ebay staff aren't exactly the most knowledgeable on this subject, but usually at the first cry of piracy they will shut an auction down. Just depends on what they decide.

You can report any auction anonymously, but you need an account to do so. There is an entire form you fill out. You'll have to wait until he posts a new auction to do so though.

I really hate scumbags like this though, the only reason he's been getting away with it, is that not many knowledgeable cd-i collectors are looking at this stuff. He's taking advantage of the limited info available on cd-i stuff in general. Believe me if he tried the same with a much more popular console, like the tg-cd/pce cd or saturn, he'd be shut down REAL quick. I'll bet he's a real sleazy douchebag in real life too.

BloodShed

Post by BloodShed » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:27 am

Lios wrote:some lightscribe bootleg zelda cd-i games.
That's exactly what I was thinking; it's definitely a LightScribe disc. I can also believe that it looks suspiciously legit to those unfamiliar with the technology though.

Here's an example of a LightScribe label:

Notice the "barcode" on TOP. This is a sure sign. It's used to align a LightScribe drive laser when drawing the image. Oh, and be careful... standard LightScribe discs appear as a dull gold but they're now being released in other colors:

Edit: perhaps the admins should sticky a warning with info on LightScribe copies for those unfamiliar with it?

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:22 pm

it worked, but they were defiently fake. the seller refunded.