Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Post by Devin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Not sure if I ever mentioned this before! However for the sake of an on-line reference for anybody that has further information here goes!

The one thing I always hoped to find one day would be the interactive title proposed by Nine Inch Nails based on the EP Broken. The CD-i title itself was supposed to be some sort of compilation of the music, videos and I assume general information the fans would dig. The real kicker was that this software would come to you broken! I'm serious! It would have crashed, rebooted your system (I'm thinking blue screen here) and been a pain in the rear to get working. Of course I think the problem was the intention to release inferior bugged software but then that was the whole point!

Did it ever make it in to prototype form, please Philips Media people let us know! :D

jaggyjaguar76
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by jaggyjaguar76 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

Yeah! Some info on this would be awesome as I would be all over it if it were to release. Huge NIN fan. Saw them live back in '94 in Hawaii. Was a good show.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 pm

What I read years ago was quite vague, not even a mention of the intended developer!

If anyone can dig up some news clippings on the subject that would be ace and also might help us track down the original studio responsible for this idea.

jimby
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Post by jimby » Fri May 07, 2010 3:36 am

Devin wrote:Not sure if I ever mentioned this before! However for the sake of an on-line reference for anybody that has further information here goes!

The one thing I always hoped to find one day would be the interactive title proposed by Nine Inch Nails based on the EP Broken. The CD-i title itself was supposed to be some sort of compilation of the music, videos and I assume general information the fans would dig. The real kicker was that this software would come to you broken! I'm serious! It would have crashed, rebooted your system (I'm thinking blue screen here) and been a pain in the rear to get working. Of course I think the problem was the intention to release inferior bugged software but then that was the whole point!

Did it ever make it in to prototype form, please Philips Media people let us know! :D
In my time at Philips, I never heard of this title being proposed, although it could have been just an early pitch. Philips would never have released purposely broken software (they had a hard enough time not releasing accidentally broken software.)

BTW, I did eventually work with NIN; I was the production supervisor on their Blu-ray and DVD Beside You In Time release.