memory fault for philips cdi 220

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
David
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by David » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 pm

The memory on my philips cdi 220 player resets every time I switch it off. Please do you have a solution for this problem?

Thanks

David

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Re: memory fault for philips cdi 220

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:00 pm

David wrote:The memory on my philips cdi 220 player resets every time I switch it off. Please do you have a solution for this problem?

Thanks

David
Sounds like you'll need to replace the NV-RAM, check out this thread.

So your saying the CD-i is fully playable, the problem only arises when the player is turned off then the memory wipes itself. Is that correct?

David

Re: memory fault for philips cdi 220

Post by David » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:11 am

Devin wrote:
David wrote:The memory on my philips cdi 220 player resets every time I switch it off. Please do you have a solution for this problem?

Thanks

David
Sounds like you'll need to replace the NV-RAM, check out this thread.

So your saying the CD-i is fully playable, the problem only arises when the player is turned off then the memory wipes itself. Is that correct?
Yes this correct, the problem only arises when the player is turned off then the memory wipes itself.

I don't like sound of replacing the NV-RAM myself. Is there someone who could do the replacing of the NV-RAM for me?

Thanks

David

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Now this is interesting!! I thought the NV-RAM problem always lead to the system asking you to wipe memory when you bootup the player. From what your describing the players memory is powered when it's switched on but when turned off that power is gone so the memory is wiped. Odd, anybody have any insights here?

What is the exact model of your CD-i player? You can get 220/00, 220/20 and 220/40 but to name a few examples.

David

Post by David » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:26 pm

Devin wrote:Now this is interesting!! I thought the NV-RAM problem always lead to the system asking you to wipe memory when you bootup the player. From what your describing the players memory is powered when it's switched on but when turned off that power is gone so the memory is wiped. Odd, anybody have any insights here?

What is the exact model of your CD-i player? You can get 220/00, 220/20 and 220/40 but to name a few examples.
The exact model is 220/25

David

David

Memory fault for philips cd-i 220

Post by David » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:56 am

Devin wrote:Now this is interesting!! I thought the NV-RAM problem always lead to the system asking you to wipe memory when you bootup the player. From what your describing the players memory is powered when it's switched on but when turned off that power is gone so the memory is wiped. Odd, anybody have any insights here?

I would like to add my reply back to you concerning the memory fault for philips cd-i 220/25. When you said "the NV-RAM problem always lead to the system asking you to wipe memory when you bootup the player". I forgot to mention that I had this problem about a week ago, but I managed to overcome this problem by unplugging the joypad from the back of the player, and plug it in to the front of the player. So does this mean that the problem could still lie with the NV-RAM needing to be changed?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:01 am

Without seeing your player and opening it up, it's hard to determine what exactly is the problem. The safest bet would be to replace the NVRAM or try putting a new battery in the NVRAM (=chip surgery).

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Erronous wrote:Without seeing your player and opening it up, it's hard to determine what exactly is the problem. The safest bet would be to replace the NVRAM or try putting a new battery in the NVRAM (=chip surgery).
Thank for you help. I am going to get someone to, try to put in a new battery in the NVRAM, and if they cannot do that, then I will get them to replace the NVRAM.

Thanks

David

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:05 pm

David wrote:
Erronous wrote:Without seeing your player and opening it up, it's hard to determine what exactly is the problem. The safest bet would be to replace the NVRAM or try putting a new battery in the NVRAM (=chip surgery).
Thank for you help. I am going to get someone to, try to put in a new battery in the NVRAM, and if they cannot do that, then I will get them to replace the NVRAM.

Thanks

David
The problems seem to be the batterie. When the batterie die, the memory will still work but when you turn the power off, it will loose everything.

Foleyjo

Post by Foleyjo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Is there a photo explanation of how to change the NVram with its location etc like the one for the laser module.

Overdrive_X
Softech Recruit

Post by Overdrive_X » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Overdrive_X wrote:
David wrote:

Thanks

David
The problems seem to be the batterie. When the batterie die, the memory will still work but when you turn the power off, it will loose everything.
This is the common problem with RAM :( If there is no power the RAM release all informations. An EEPROM would been better with a internal Battery.

johnny

memory full

Post by johnny » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:12 pm

hello

my cd-i player, when I switch it on, the message: "memory is full, delete some items" is there, but there are no items in the list I can't delete, What have I to do??? The Typenumber is philips 470 cd-i player.

who can help me, I only can see the page whith that message!!!

johnny :evil:

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:28 am

I'm also having a problem with my save data.

I checked this morning, and all my data was wiped. At first I thought it was because I had been playing the SMWW beta, but after some testing, i discovered that each time I switch the machine off, the memory is erased.

This is very annoying, since I was planning on completing Zelda's Adventure soon.

My CDI is a model 210/45

Is there an easy way to fix this? Is it just a case of replacing a battery? Replacing the NVRAM sounds incredibly complicated. :(

Until it's fixed, I can't actually use the system, since most of the things I want to play have saving.

I must admit, it was very short sighted of creating a CD system without the ability to transfer data to a cartridge of some kind. The Sega CD, Saturn, 3DO and NEC Turbo Duo all had the means to transfer internal memory to an external device of some sort. The saturn also allowed easy exchange of the internal battery.

Damn, if my system is bust, then I am annoyed. I spent £150 on it, and had hoped it would last quite a while.

So then, what is my best option here?
Freelancer for GamesTM and Retro Gamer magazine.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm

You can save and restore NVRAM data to/from your PC using the CD-Interlink disc or my CD-i Link program, but both programs require a CD-i Nullmodem cable. Both programs can be downloaded from the ICDIA site.

CD-i Interlink has a nice CD-i GUI but needs XMODEM (I think) on the PC end; CD-i Link is a command-line program but does not need anything else.

Or you can upload the ROMs and use CD-i Emulator starting September :-)

PS. Is Retro Gamer really defunct?

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:02 pm

Sort of. If you read MCV newspaper, you'll see the publisher is in dire straits. They've closed one other mag, made 6 redundant, and RG has gone bi-monthly.

Anyway, I opened my CDI, it looks complex. I think I may just have to buy another system. :(

I take it the battery doesn't recharge on it's own if left plugged in?
Last edited by Szczepaniak on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freelancer for GamesTM and Retro Gamer magazine.