910 CDi disc read issue

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
goatdan
Burn:Cycle Activated

910 CDi disc read issue

Post by goatdan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 pm

If anyone can give me some help with this, I would greatly appreciate it. I recently found a CD-i to check out a few things I've always wanted to see on the system. When I first turned it on, the disc sounded loose and spun out of the tray. I removed the cover and found that the plastic / magnetic thing at the top had come loose. I replaced it, and it now holds the disc really well...

But, when it is there the disc won't spin. When it isn't there, the disc spins. The motor doesn't even seem to engage it. Am I looking at having to replace the drive, or is there anything else I can do here? I found some replacement drives online, but they seem to be $50+ for a drive, in which case I feel like I might as well just wait to pick up another whole system at some point for $75 that is working.

Any ideas as to what I can try I'd really appreciate!