People defending Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Protoman85
Burn:Cycle Activated

People defending Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon

Post by Protoman85 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Also, a talk with a developer of those games. It's interesting for what it is, but boy are these people delusional. These are BAD games, and here they are saying that they're actually "very good"....

http://hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi1.htm

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm sure some can find them to be mildly entertaining, but to go so far as to call them "very good"? You would have to be on drugs to say something like that. Of course, in this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. :lol:

Gazza
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Gazza » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Austin, you're right.
At best they're, as you say, mildly entertaining.
And for somebody to try and convince or to put forward an argument that they are "very good", well I'm sorry but that's bordering on crazy talk.
I own the games and have really tried to get to like them. But it's no good. Very frustrating controls and gameplay. Not my idea of fun.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 am

I think Animation Magic's Zelda efforts are pretty good, but they suffer from carrying the Zelda tag along. If it were original IP games, probably the games would be overlooked just like other CD-i games, but at least the average review value was higher. The games are huge, there's a lot of exploring, I don't find the controls frustrating (as long as you don't try to play with the thumbstick :)) the graphics were OK but the graphic style was very good, I love the art style in the backgrounds. The sound effects are moody, the cut scenes cheesy. I had a lot of fun playing them.

Zelda's Adventure is one for the deep: It's a very intriguing RPG game with a highly detailed world map. The downside of the game is that you are thrown into it without a lot of directions and after a while you don't know what to do. Thankfully I used the guide to get me through it and it's a very ambitious and rich adventure. Ofcourse, the CD-i's technical limits are visible, scrolling is slow and sprites are not animated fluently, but hey, it was 1995 :)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Another extreme. This article overrates the Cd-i Zelda games ... but by the same token most others underrate them. They have their good points, and their bad. Overall, probably average to slightly above imho.

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Mind you, Nintendo's Zelda games are WAY overated, and I played plenty of those (Nintendo is top company for releasing the same games over and over and over and.....)

proxy10

Post by proxy10 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 am

Austin, you're right.