What are THE best controllers to get for the CD-i?...

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
dave4shmups
Burn:Cycle Activated

What are THE best controllers to get for the CD-i?...

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:43 pm

I'd love to get a CD-i at some point, but there are so many controllers for it! The two that look the most appealing to me are the 3-button controller, and the mouse/trackball controller. I would tend to think that the mouse controller would be the best for games like Chaos Control and Burn Cycle. I could be wrong, though.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:47 pm

That's the best controller I've played CD-i with :)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Cool looking controller, very similar to the Sega Genesis one it seems. Are those turbo switches on top? If so, what are some games that make good use of them?

How does this controller compare to the more standard 3 button one. I'm really curious to hear others opinions.

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 pm

That looks great! The CD-i controller that I've read the most complaints about is the one that's shaped like a TV remote with the joystick on it. People seem to HATE that one!

So, what about the mouse/trackball controller?

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:39 pm

If you can find a Sony mouse (which came with the Sony portable) I found they are the best for cd-i. I didn't get on with the trackerball to be honest, nor the joystick. The later version remote works very very well :)

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:28 am

Alan_Eng wrote:If you can find a Sony mouse (which came with the Sony portable) I found they are the best for cd-i. I didn't get on with the trackerball to be honest, nor the joystick. The later version remote works very very well :)
OK, thanks! What year did this later version remote come out, and how do you recognize it from the earlier version?

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:38 am

agreed the best CD-i controller I've used is the Gamester GT-i. Also the name makes it sound like a sports car. but what's even better is the controller converter, you can use any controller with the standard Sega/Atari plugs. both aren't that easy to find though

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Shroo-man wrote:agreed the best CD-i controller I've used is the Gamester GT-i. Also the name makes it sound like a sports car. but what's even better is the controller converter, you can use any controller with the standard Sega/Atari plugs. both aren't that easy to find though
OK, great! Nice Youtube channel, BTW, I've subbed! So, the PS1 mouse works on the CD-i?? That would be nice to use.

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 am

dave4shmups wrote:OK, great! Nice Youtube channel, BTW, I've subbed! So, the PS1 mouse works on the CD-i?? That would be nice to use.
You can buy a CD-i mouse. I just received one of these in the mail today: http://cgi.ebay.com/CD-I-Mouse-22ER9011 ... 5ae149f26a. Looking forward to testing it out when I get home from work! :)
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:07 am

Wow, and a new one at that. I'd be curious to know what you think of it. Especially if you ever get Creature Shock. :wink:

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 am

Trev wrote:Wow, and a new one at that. I'd be curious to know what you think of it. Especially if you ever get Creature Shock. :wink:
I will certainly shoot my opinions your way.. I'm curious to know how it will work considering most games don't have sensitivity control options. I'm hoping I don't have to drag it across the mat five times just to get the cursor across the screen! :lol:
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 am

If anyone is interested, I have a gamester cd-i controller as pictured for sale. PM me if you want to chat about price etc..

Alan