Hotel Mario - The Good & the Bad

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 am

Gaara wrote:I think you misunderstood.

I like the Mario series as a whole.

But there a few games I dislike in the franchise, such as the bland "Mario Party DS", and the slightly less awful puzzler "Mario & Yoshi", which has nice graphics and sound, but I can't stand the annoying, frustrating gameplay.
Ahh, I did musunderstand ... I thought you met Mario & Yoshi as characters/series. I didn't realize you meant an actual game ... you see, in the States the game was simply titled "Yoshi." I also agree that it's not a very good game ... it didn't get very many good reviews either, as I recall.
"Third down, bases are loaded, and we're pullin' the goalie!"

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:31 am

From what I have played of this game so far, I like it more than I expected. The visuals are colorful, the music and sound effects are fitting, the controls are relatively responsive and the whole concept takes a minute to pick up on. Obviously the FMV is, well.. rather embarrassing, to say the least, and I also dislike how the screen cuts out completely when you die. It just seems to interrupt what is an otherwise decent flow. All in all though, I think it's a pretty cool game, worth the Mario name unlike Nintendo's other licensed series on the system.

Also, I agree that even some of Nintendo's Mario knock-offs were sub-par (Mario & Yoshi for one). From what I understand though, Nintendo outsourced those to other development studios, so I guess you can look at them in a similar light as Hotel Mario... :lol:
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Someone on our sister forum, 3DO Zero, made me aware of this ... ever hear of it?

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/softwar ... ytunes.htm

Calavera
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Calavera » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 pm

One thing I don't like about it is that it is a remake of an 1983 Atari 5200 game on a (at the time) top of the line next gen system!

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:53 pm

I didn't realize you meant an actual game ... you see, in the States the game was simply titled "Yoshi."
The constant changing of names of video games in the 1980s/1990s remains one of the most confusing and annoying things ever. "Lylat Wars"? What kind of stupid name is that?

Gaara
Softech Recruit

Post by Gaara » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Trev wrote:Someone on our sister forum, 3DO Zero, made me aware of this ... ever hear of it?

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/softwar ... ytunes.htm
Oh My God. Oh My Buddha. Oh My Allah. Oh My King Kai.

Come to think about it....anyone ever play "Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle"? That was like a cross between "Hotel Mario" and "Wrecking Crew".

CD-inexperience

Post by CD-inexperience » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 am

I love this Calavera!

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:23 am

Well hi there stranger, thanks for you post. You should stop by and visit your CD-i neighbors more often. :wink:

Protoman85

Re: Hotel Mario - The Good & the Bad

Post by Protoman85 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Trev wrote:Six things I like about Hotel Mario

-Addictive, like all good puzzle games.
Kind of agree, the concept however silly of shutting doors, works.

-Characters look great!
Except that the expression on Mario's face is that of a pervert!

-Good, colorful graphics.
Agreed.

-Koopa Kids! :D
Hell yes.

-Music is bouncy & pleasent.
At least in the first level, I've never beaten it. (the boss)

-Save after any level!
yes

Six things I don't like about Hotel Mario

-Animated cutscenes. :roll:
You and me and everybody :)
-Cheap enemies
Wiggler! Why must you have so many bodies!

-Jumping is broken! :evil:
This I don't get, jumping feels fine to me.

-Limited powerups.
Mmm, the flower shows up much to little.

-Loose control
ehh it feels pretty good to me.

-Too long
Is that a complaint? Really?

Been playing it recently w/my new controller ... much improved! :D

I'd like to add one. I think the fact that you jump and get hit by enemies on the next floor almost ruins the game. Leads to so many unfair deaths.

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:09 am

Lol, when I said the jumping is broken and the control felt loose I was referring mainly to just what you said ... enemies on the floor above hitting you when you jump! :P Nothing fine about it imho ...

As for being too long ... by the time you reach the bosses the levels start to feel a bit stale to me. I wish less was needed to move on so you could experience more variety ...

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 am

Protoman85 wrote:I'd like to add one. I think the fact that you jump and get hit by enemies on the next floor almost ruins the game. Leads to so many unfair deaths.
I noticed this too, but I feel this aspect gives it a sense of challenge, requiring some form of strategy and a bit of thinking ahead to get through some levels.
The IMPLANTgames Podcast - Episode 66: http://implantgames.com/implantgames/podcast66

Protoman85

Post by Protoman85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Austin wrote:
Protoman85 wrote:I'd like to add one. I think the fact that you jump and get hit by enemies on the next floor almost ruins the game. Leads to so many unfair deaths.
I noticed this too, but I feel this aspect gives it a sense of challenge, requiring some form of strategy and a bit of thinking ahead to get through some levels.
Yes, and the strict time limits and bad control in Superman 64 also give the game a sense of challenge.....

Austin
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:28 am

Protoman85 wrote:
Austin wrote:
Yes, and the strict time limits and bad control in Superman 64 also give the game a sense of challenge.....
When I say "challenge", I mean a very "lite" challenge. Superman 64 is a broken POS, completely uncomparable to Hotel Mario, which is an otherwise very playable game that gets knocked more for its Philips-Nintendo licensing deal than for being a bad game in itself (which it is not).

Protoman85

Post by Protoman85 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Austin wrote:
Protoman85 wrote:
Austin wrote: I noticed this too, but I feel this aspect gives it a sense of challenge, requiring some form of strategy and a bit of thinking ahead to get through some levels.
When I say "challenge", I mean a very "lite" challenge. Superman 64 is a broken POS, completely uncomparable to Hotel Mario, which is an otherwise very playable game that gets knocked more for its Philips-Nintendo licensing deal than for being a bad game in itself (which it is not).
Well I was exaggerating a bit to stress my point that the jump-into-enemies-on-higher-planes thing in Hotel Mario is bad design rather than in there to give the game challenge. I know Superman 64 is a lot worse than Hotel Mario, which is actually a decent game.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Fri May 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Alan_Eng wrote:It's one of my favourite games ever. The 2 player mode obviously allows you to play as Luigi, so it's the nearest on cd-i to ''Sonic & Tails''! I agree that simultaneous 2 player would have been fantastic.

To my knowledge, the following are the only 2 player simultaneous games..

Frog Feast
Solar Crusade
Pac Panic
Whack a Bubble
Mystic Midway - Phantom Express
Ms Pacman (Arcade Classics)
Going Dutch (Family Games 2)
Striker Pro
Ultra cd-i soccer
International Tennis Open
NFL Hall of Fame Football
Caesar's World of Boxing
Rise of the Robots

Alan
Didn't Micro Machines also have a simultaneous two player mode, as I'm sure I remember it also having the option of doing two players on one remote/controller, which was always .. Interesting to say the least haha.