Green Book now publicly available?

Support forum for homebrew development on the Philips CD-i system. Hosted through the CDinteractive network the CD-i Homebrew Forum will provide an active resource for new software initiatives on the system and offer hosting for any serious attempts.
cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Green Book now publicly available?

Post by cdifan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Yesterday I found out that in May of this year, the Wikipedia entry for Green Book (CD standard) was updated with a link to the Green Book Version May 1994, Release 2. The page states:
Wikipedia wrote:However, the 1994 version of the standard was eventually made available for free by Philips.
The provided link points to the https://www.lscdweb.com site which is linked from the Philips Licensing programs - CD Disc (Joint) page (the link is under the "Partner Area" in the "Licensing" menu). Some further investigation leads to this CD Products page, which seems to confirm that it is all perfectly legit.

This is good news for CD-i application and CD-i emulator writers (especially those wanting to do a "high-level" emulation like CD-ice): every specification needed is now publicly available.
For hardware emulation like CD-i Emulator and the MESS CD-i driver there still remains a lot of undocumented hardware, of course...

Now, one would think that something like this was publicised somewhere, but I have been unable to find anything (it could be my Google-fu is weak today).
Does anybody here have more information?

Stiletto
Burn:Cycle Activated

Re: Green Book now publicly available?

Post by Stiletto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:25 pm

The link was added to Wikipedia by "Sega381" on May 25, 2013... at the bottom of the CD Products page, it says:
Note: With the introduction of this new website on April 16, 2010, the conditions to obtain specification books has been changed.
  • The ordering method has changed.
  • Some books, previously available only in combination with a License, Registration or Information agreement (or Subscription), are now separately priced ( Non Disclosure Agreement required)
  • Some books are now available as a free download.
So it's been since at least April 16, 2010, no doubt.

[EDIT] It may actually have been April 16, 2011.
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/ ... lleJVOc5VZ

opt_fr_
Softech Recruit

Post by opt_fr_ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:09 am

cdifan wrote: This is good news for CD-i application and CD-i emulator writers (especially those wanting to do a "high-level" emulation like CD-ice): every specification needed is now publicly available.
Indeed, and it was downloadable since last year : when I was surfing on these forums I found this thread : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2868#p13954
Too good to be true ? Then I retried to google green book again and after a visit of the Philips's Services and ordering page, got the link to magic page with all the colored books you mentioned (8th september 2012 for me). I bet it was on this page that Pete found earlier the copy he was looking for :)

Stiletto
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Stiletto » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Webadmin at lscdweb says:
With Philips permission, Adminius made this page with a download available to registered visitors available August 2011.
To obtain data on the periode before aug 2011 contact Philips.
Adminius is an independent back-office for licensing companies, providing administration and registration services for licensing companies.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info!
Stiletto wrote:Webadmin at lscdweb says:
With Philips permission, Adminius made this page with a download available to registered visitors available August 2011.
Does this mean that the Green Book is not really intended to be "downloadable" to all people, only to registered visitors of the site?
Of course, registering seems to be pretty easy and as far as I've seen it's also gratis...

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:45 pm

omegalfa wrote:Hi, I am interested in getting a copy ;)
The link I posted above still works:
Green Book Version May 1994, Release 2.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 pm

It's now also on ICDIA in the new CD-i Full Functional Specification (Green Book) section under CD-i DOCUMENTATION.