"Collector Edition" Covers on Magazines

This is where you can discuss anything besides CD-i related topics. Introduce yourself, discuss films, music, travel and get to know what interests the community has beyond CD-i.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

"Collector Edition" Covers on Magazines

Post by Devin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:07 pm

How I hate these blatent attempts to cash in on us innocent collector types!!

I'd rather hoped Games™ would avoid this route taken by so many but not only did they publish two covers over the Christmas Edition they followed up this years with four flavours using the excuse of four seasons featuring the game Animal Crossing. Another of my frequent magazine subscriptions is EDGE which is no stranger to this case of multiplicity and produced no less than 10 Front Covers for the 10th Anniversary Issue. I am a collector of gaming advertisements, flyers and magazines but still I refuse to buy multiple copies of the same damned magazine.

If RetroGamer goes down this path then god help us all :shock:
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 am

It took me a while before I realized this !!!

These UK magazines aren't widely available in the netherlands (at least not in my neighbourhood), and if they have it, it's commonly only 1 issue at the time. So, a few weeks ago i saw this black Games(tm) issue with a marked devil around the xbox360. And I was thinking, wow, they're already negative about it! I didn't have the time to read it that day... A week after that, in another store i saw Games(tm) again, and i doubted - i was pretty sure last time i saw it the cover was black. Now it's white ?!?

Only later I concluded two covers were around!!

It's a stupid policy, i'll never buy the same magazine twice only because of a different cover.

Well, Edge was wrapped last issue, so i didn't bought it because i always want to have a quick peek on what's inside. I only buy these magazines now and then when some interesting articles are in it. However i prefer Games(tm) over Edge, its content is more easier to my eye :D

These stupid UK magazines always take over two weeks before they arrive here. So, the christmas issues are still in store at the moment. I expect the new ones to arrive this week, and i'll keep an eye on it for sure: I love Animal Crossing!!

i can't access http://www.gamestm.co.uk by the way. Is it me?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:18 pm

The publisher "Highbury" is in a spot of trouble and I was actually surprised to see issue 40 hit the market in all honesty. This could very well be the last issue produced! I suppose that adds a certain collectability to a possible last four issue release. I'm not sure if this would have any relevance to the fact the website has been down for a while now.

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 pm

aaahwnoo.. You mean GamesTM could be at its end?! Damn.. I hate it when my fave magazines go away.. it just happens too often!!

BTW, any of you remember ACE magazine? (Advanced Computer Entertainment).. They were around in the late eighties/early nineties.. and they got me into CD-i in the first place.. (Of course they also went bankrupt)..

They had an issue where on the front you would have Darth Vader looking out in sky, with a picture of an early CD-i model (I think its the 180).. with the text "you've seen the movie, played the game.. NOW PLAY THE MOVIE"...

of course it would be years before CD-i finally appeared, and the "play the movie" thing never really happened.

BTW.. I just played Fahrenheit / The Indigo Prophecy.. which to me is much more like an interactive movie then anything else we've seen over the years.. Nice one!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:44 pm

Wow, British publications are really popular abroad!

I'd imagine GamesTM would be bought by some other publishing house if Highbury goes under, it's too successful a magazine for them to let slip.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Ah, that's a shame! I can't find the new Games(tm) yet, while the new Edge is out for a while...

And has anyone seen this Retrogamer magazine out in the netherlands?

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Devin, Any news on wether or not Highbury has gone bankrupt and/or GamesTM being gone?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:15 pm

Yesterday Issue 40 was in the shops here. 20 days after launch...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 am

Merijn wrote:Devin, Any news on wether or not Highbury has gone bankrupt and/or GamesTM being gone?
Highbury are definately going under! Last I heard is that they are selling off the group as divisions so this excludes single magazine sales. If anybody wants to buy GamesTM they are going to have to purchase the entire publishing division. Not a bad sale as Highbury has some good publications for video games which rivals Future Publishing if only in a limited fashion. I think Imagine Publishing are probably gonna buy them out which is quite good seeing as they recently saved RetroGamer from oblivion.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Recent News...

Imagine acquires Highbury titles

Hopefully Imagine haven't expanded too fast! Wouldn't want them to go under now they have both GamesTM and RetroGamer.