New member? Say Hi!

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
johnmeel
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by johnmeel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Bas

Thanx for complementing on my collection

Achterhoek Magazine is a regional business magazine and this disc was a free bonus. It served primarily as a demo for TVA! interactive a small media company. The cdi contains information about companies and tourist information about dutch region Achterhoek. The disc can be played without DVC, but has some video's if played with one.

The Mondrian disc is also quite nice as it doubles up as a cd-rom, but i;m sure y'all are aware of that.

The games you mention may deserve another viewing by me, as I haven't played them for a couple of years and for micromachines, well, who can beat to people sharing one gamepad, knocking eachother of a pooltable and desperately trying to reach the next ruler first. Another micromachines type game might me to much though
CDi was a great idea, its just that the world took a different direction

johnmeel

Post by johnmeel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:06 pm

oh, just read up about machines, and i have a 605 without DVC upgrade possible, not a 910
CDi was a great idea, its just that the world took a different direction

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:15 pm

Have you also experienced CD-Online when it was all up and running? And can you post a pic of this Achterhoek disc? You caught my interest right there :)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:12 pm

More importantly to me, do you still have the CD-Online kit? That is, CD and modem?

If I ever try to make it work, I'll probably need both!

dacart14

Post by dacart14 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi am new on here
I had a CDi new all those years ago and have just bought myself
one of ebay but am needing some games that am struggling to find
Voyeur, Striker Pro, Hotel Mario, Burn Cycle, and any other good ones you guys can think of! Also I need a joypad! either type! Help!!!!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:39 pm

hi,

check ebay

Gator is a bit expensive here, though...

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:46 pm

You're in luck since I'm also selling stuff on eBay and I started bidding at 1 Euro to make sure they were sold :). IIRC used gamepads would usually go for about 10-15 Euro.

vwrafi

Post by vwrafi » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi , I am also new .

My first computer was Schneider ( Amstrad ) CPC-464 . Next I bought Amiga CDTV , then I trade it to Amiga 600 ( because for CDTV wasn'y too much games on CD ) . Next step was to sell A600 and buy Amiga CD32 . With Full Motion Video Module it was a liitle simillar to Philips CD-i technology ( and CD32 has almost the same procesor like Philips CD-i - Motorola 68xxx series ) . But in that time ( I think 1993-1995 ) I've never saw a Philips CD-i in my country . I read about this in magazines but it was something like 3DO for me , very hard to find and too much expensive . So , time goes by and I bought a PC .

Maybe a month ago I find a homepage of some man in Poland . He is a collectioner . He has got very unique things in his collection ( for example portable Commodore C-64 with monitor , I think the name was SX64 , he also got Amiga 1000 , Virtual Boy console and many other nice things ) . He also got a Philips CDI210 console . When I saw the picture of it my flashback comes to live . I said to me , I must have this one . I go to Allegro ( in Poland it is something like eBay at your country ) and I was start looking for it . It was very hard to find that console . First I bought Philips CDI450 , next was CDI210 , another CDI210 and yesterday I bought CDI220 .

What can I say about that console . Hmmm , Full Motion Video games is great . I like Space Ace , Dragons Lair , Mad Dog McCree . Most people don't like this games , but I'm love it . I remember like I was playing a Dragons Lair 3 on my Amiga 600 . Oh My God , 8 floppy disk , and no instalation on hard disk . I must change the diskette every minute . It was horrible , but I play on this and Space Ace . Now it is very different with CD-i , just put CD in the player and that's it . OK , this is good , but platforms games , hmmm , I think that on Amiga CD32 there was better platforms games . Of course , on CD-i the platform games are not so bad , I can play on it , but compare to for example Zool 2 or Oscar on Amiga , the games on CD-i looks a little worst . Of course , there are exception like The Apprentice , Flashback and few more which looks great .

I can't understand , why the people from Philips don't creat DVD-i ? But for creating the CD-i I give to the Philips big PLUS . Now I am sitting in my home , playing games , and wondering how much expensive was that console in 1993 . I look at this machine and trying to imagine what hopes were have people who create this great machine .

Oh , I don't know how I found this page , I was looking everything of CD-i on internet and that's how I am here .

( my english is not so good , so if there is something strange in my post just blame it for my language :D )

Paisley CDi

Post by Paisley CDi » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:38 am

I am new to this forum. I'm originally from Holland but moved to Scotland about 5 years ago. I love the Dutch cdi magazines on philipscdi.com. I actually forgot how cheesy they were, apparantly aimed at 60-year-old houswives who had never seen a film or played a videogame before :) The way they were bigging up rubbish films like 'Sliver', hilarious, I think they never gave a bad review. From what I can remember the UK mag was a bit better, but I have not seen it in years. Was it really better? I know the ads were. The thing I liked were the DVD articles, I remember going on and on and on about DVD when none of my friends now what I was talking about :D
I used to be a subscriber but threw all issues away when I was moving house 5 years ago...I know...stupid, but I'm glad I can read them on the internet now, gives me something to do at work ;) . The other stupid thing I did was buying a cdi 490 in december 1995 only months before Philips officially abandoned the format. Ah well...I have had a lot of fun with it up to this day. I bought my 1st player mainly as a VCD player but I bought some specific cdi titles at the time as well, in particular football titles. Unfortunately my player became a bit temperamental just after the warranty expired. It started to skip and eventually became totally useless. About 2 or 3 years ago I bought a 210 on eBay and last year I bought another 210 for the bedroom. The latter came with about 30 discs, most of which I already owned. I sold them on eBay again which meant I got a really good deal, a player and some discs I was looking for virtually for free :P . I have bought loads of games over the last few years as well, mainly from UK sellers on eBay. I also still collect VCD's as long as they were issued by Philips Media.

dacart14

Post by dacart14 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:32 pm

I can still remember the english cdi magazine!
Damn wish I had saved them all now! (Too many house moves me thinks)
anyway got most of the games I was after and a joypad too! It arrives in the next few days cannot wait to play all my new additions. Still after Burn Cycle and Voyeur though any help would be appreciated thanks

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:28 pm

We stock both Burn:Cycle and Voyeur in The CD-i Store, all brand new for a fiver a piece!

It's great to see so many new faces (or words!), would've thought CD-i could still hold a captive audience! :wink:
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:37 pm

yeah, thanks for the posts guys! Welcome! I hope to get in touch more when I have a bit more time. I'm even afraid my other update is in a delay :oops:

SolCutter

Post by SolCutter » Sun May 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi, I'm from Belgium and used to have a cd-i, don't know how the model was called exactly. It was with a wireless controller which was really hard to use. The games I remember the most (in a good way) are Laser Lords, Burn Cycle, Lost Eden, Pinball, The 7th guest, Voyeur and Secret Mission. Other ones but not so good were zombie dinos, link, effacer, dark castle..
The console was broken sadly and I sold all my games, but recently I got nostalgic and bought a cd-i console again along with 16 games. Now I'm looking for more games, escpecially Secret Mission, since I never got passed the organ puzzle.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun May 07, 2006 4:23 pm

I dare to say the games you remember to be good are definately not the best of the system. Give the forum a search though and you'll find plenty of info of what most of the members love.

Once you have Secret Mission, check out the walkthrough to play with, you won't go wrong with this piece!

SolCutter

Post by SolCutter » Sun May 07, 2006 4:26 pm

I will try it without the walkthrough first but thank you ! :D
I forgot to mention Dragon's lair (both of them) in my previous post. Those are great also. Especially Time Warp, I love the Mozart (or is it beethoven? :oops: ) world.