CDI220 / 60 Problem - SOLVED! Solution inside.

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
odious
Burn:Cycle Activated

CDI220 / 60 Problem - SOLVED! Solution inside.

Post by odious » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so be nice and gentle :P

The problem:

Got my used cdi 220 /60 unit today and it is in pristine condition, but when i try to play some cdi's it stalls more or less on the same part. The drive keeps spinning the cd and when it freezes the movie, the lens makes a sound like it's trying to focus.

What should i do to the thingie?

Judging by the posts reporting problems with 220 units, well... ii've got something to entertain myself... I'm a proud owner of a good looking problem...

Any help is appreciated. Please don't tell me to go buy a new laser that costs 100$ plus 50$ of p&p.

Thanks
Last edited by odious on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Sounds more like a dirty lens to me, or a scratchy disc? If I understand you, the disc start-up is fine, it just freezes at a point.

Does it only happen with Digital Video?

Welcome :D

odious

Post by odious » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:50 am

Hi!

It doesn't happen only with video. Also audio cd's jump some seconds ahead and games freeze too.

I've tweaked a bit the pot (i'm not an engineer but i took a note on it's factory position) and what suceeds is that it improves a bit but will freeze in another place.

The cd's are in excellent condition, so i think this must be the laser. The lens is clean.

Or... as the lens moves, the flat is moved also and theres a small crack somewhere.

What do you think? Tired lens?

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:32 am

Had that problem often with 220's. It's caused by the tracking rails on which the laser unit moves. You need to remove the dried-out grease and re-grease the rails.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:44 am

like on these rails on the left? Or the elastic is just worn out and doesn't function anymore like it should....

odious

Post by odious » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi guys!

Bas and Windowskiller: Thanks for the help! IT'S ALIVE! :P

I was already thinking of beating the crap out of the seller. The moron told me "yeah, it's completeley functional". I've emailed the guy about the fault on the unit, and guess what? No emails from mr. "completely functional"

Hell, this a reflex of how people live their lives. A man is supposed to get drunk and pee standing up. Not act as a sissy behind an email.

Now that my rant is over:

The fault was caused by dry rails where the laser moves. I cleaned them, greased them, and WOAA, dudes, i feel so happy!

Isn't it wonderful to have something now working as a charm, that you wanted as a child?

Thanks! Where do i pay? :P
Last edited by odious on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Great to hear, one more CD-i rescued from death. :)

bonav

Post by bonav » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:07 pm

My CD-i 220 player has the same behavior. Which tracking rails do you exactly mean? The one on the picture has no dryed out grease here.
I already fixed the belt, so it must be something else.