New Frog Feast preview posted.

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Alright!

This one played nicely, and I guess I could say fast, on the Goldstar, but not at all on the portable CD-i350, either NTSC or PAL video display. You can actually see something jumping, but is a bunch of lines over a blue screen.
cdoty wrote:
oaacdi wrote:Which is the correct link for this version?
The latest version is available from http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/CDI.html

The two files in the zip will have a date of 7/14/2007 and a time of 3:24 AM.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:10 pm

oaacdi wrote:This one played nicely, and I guess I could say fast, on the Goldstar, but not at all on the portable CD-i350, either NTSC or PAL video display. You can actually see something jumping, but is a bunch of lines over a blue screen.
Have you had any problems with other games on the CD-i350? Maybe Super Mario Wacky World, since it probably wasn't certified by Philips.

Do you have the CD-I emulator and bios file for the CD-i350? If so, could you try it out under that?
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:11 pm

cdoty wrote: Did you notice any slowdowns, and are you running PAL or NTSC?
The game runs fast, and without any slowdowns on my 450 PAL machine.
cdoty wrote: An exit feature doesn't seem very common.
I asked about this mainly because most cd-i titles actually do have an exit feature.
cdoty wrote: I wonder if there is a demand for a pause feature?
It would certainly be nice. Although it is not that important. I thought about this because it seems the second button will not have any use in the game?

I think an exit feature and credits are more important. Without it, the game seems not complete.

I'm looking forward for the final product. Do you already know the design of the boxart and the cd?

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:18 pm

rdjnl wrote:I'm looking forward for the final product. Do you already know the design of the boxart and the cd?
I don't know how OlderGames will package it. They may prefer to go with a style similar to the Sega CD and Neo Geo CD versions.

My preference would be something close to the FM Towns version:

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Frog Feast input working.

Post by cdoty » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Frog Feast supports two players using a splitter or the two ports on systems such as the CDI-370.

The only issue I've noticed is that the Magnavox CDI-450 doesn't support mouse movements, it will read the buttons. Rise of the Robots and Defender of the Crown have the same problem. I wonder if this is a programming issue, or is the CDI-450 missing some needed hardware?

The mouse works on the CDI-370, and the game is playable with the mouse.
oaacdi wrote:This one played nicely, and I guess I could say fast, on the Goldstar, but not at all on the portable CD-i350, either NTSC or PAL video display. You can actually see something jumping, but is a bunch of lines over a blue screen.
I pulled out my CD-I605T player, and I think it's having the same issues.
Which is odd, since I use the rom from this player in some of my testing. At least I have something to work from.

Can you make sure the incompatibility switch on the back isn't on? :)
Last edited by cdoty on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

oaacdi
Softech Recruit

Post by oaacdi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 am

No problems at all, even with Super Mario.
cdoty wrote:Have you had any problems with other games on the CD-i350? Maybe Super Mario Wacky World, since it probably wasn't certified by Philips.
I do have and paid for the emulator. Ever since I rebuilt my PC, this is one of the applications I had not re-installad. Not in a hurry since my hardware works fine and the emulation is still far from been more functional, as in not been able to play games needing the digital cartridge. I will re-install it when an upgrade is available.
cdoty wrote:Do you have the CD-I emulator and bios file for the CD-i350? If so, could you try it out under that?

OlderGames
Fish Head

Post by OlderGames » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:57 am

cdoty wrote:
rdjnl wrote:I'm looking forward for the final product. Do you already know the design of the boxart and the cd?
I don't know how OlderGames will package it. They may prefer to go with a style similar to the Sega CD and Neo Geo CD versions.
Nope.
My preference would be something close to the FM Towns version:
Yep. :D

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

The video decoding is not done by the ROM but by the hardware.

Since the virtual hardware of CD-i Emulator is probably not exactly identical to the hardware of any particular player model (especially in slightly illegal cases), you may still see differences even when using the exact same ROMs.

This could be called a CD-i Emulator bug, of course, but it needs to be investigated.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:43 pm

cdifan wrote:The video decoding is not done by the ROM but by the hardware.
But, the rom would be responsible for configuring the MCD212 (or whatever video hardware is used).

My thought is it's probably a problem in the FCT DCP. I tested all the versions of Frog Feast, including the final Chaos 89 Demo.I need to try the initial one. I've rearanged the FCT instruction a number of times throughout those versions.

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:59 am

No worries, Frog Feast should run fine on a CDi 350. It's been tested, and working fine on a 605 and 910.

Three d*mn bits were causing the problem. Who knew three d*mn bits could be that big of a pain.