7th Guest PC vs CDI... and compatibility issues?

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Jimmy
Burn:Cycle Activated

7th Guest PC vs CDI... and compatibility issues?

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Just started playing the 7th guest on the CDi and realized the PC walkthrough doesn't apply to it. I looked a bit further and found various sites suggesting the CDi version has altered video sequences and some of the video was cut from it.

Does the story progress differently in the CDi version? How much video was cut from the CDi version (if any)?

Also, I've read that there are two version of the 7th guest for the CDi. 1 locks up during the puzzle sequences on some players. And the other is fixed. I have both the PAL and NTSC version of the 7th guest and they both lock up on my CDi (as soon as I start the first puzzle :x ). How can you tell which one is the fixed version?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:31 pm

the fixed version was only issued in Europe after the launch of the 4xx players. The 7th Guest locks up at the new players only. That's why they released a fixed version which was released in a VIDEOCD jewelcase. So only if you have an original copy you'll see this. The inlay, boxart and CD are the same.

The CD-i version misses the puzzle in the Kitchen, most probably because they had to fix the game on one CD. The CD-ROM version came on two cd's. Other than that, I don't think the CD-i version misses any more video or puzzles. Not that I know of right now, that is.

gtdalby

Post by gtdalby » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Hmm... Since the CD is the same is there a way to tell the difference by looking at file size or something from the disc?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Good question! Has anyone ever tried?

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:22 am

I have both versions and will take a look at it tonight, but I find it highly improbable. The PC version uses a different video codec (it's not MPEG like CD-i) and probably something else then DYUV for the puzzle screens (at least that's what I think it uses on CD-i). That alone would account for a huge possible difference in file sizes, not to speak for any re-architecting that may have been done.

But maybe file names can give a clue or something...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 am

I thought he was referring to a different file size between the first CD-i version and the patched version of CD-i 7th Guest ;)

gtdalby

Post by gtdalby » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Bas wrote:I thought he was referring to a different file size between the first CD-i version and the patched version of CD-i 7th Guest ;)
Yes